Men's Tennis: UConn loses to USF at AAC championships

By Eugene Joh

The UConn men's tennis team finished up their season this past Friday in Memphis, as they dropped their opening meet of the American Athletic Conference Championships to the University of South Florida Bulls. The No. 26 ranked Bulls won three singles matches and two doubles matches before play was called.
UConn junior Wayne Harrell squared off against USF's Roberto Cid, the #43 ranked singles player in the nation, in the No. 1 singles match. Going into the match, Harrell was looking for his 16th singles match win of the season. Harrell was able to manage just three games, however, as Cid sealed a straight-sets victory 6-1, 6-2.
Senior Ryan Carr managed just one game in his No. 3 singles match against USF's Sasha Gozun, losing the contest 6-0, 6-1. Carr and Harrell also teamed up to face Gozun and Cid in the #1 doubles match. With the Bulls leading by six games to five, play was stopped and the match was declared unfinished.
In the No. 2 singles match, UConn junior Jacob Spreyer dropped the first set to USF's Oliver Pramming 2-6. Spreyer stayed on level terms with his opponent until 2-2 in the second set, when play was stopped.
The Huskies finish the 2013-14 season with an 8-12 record on the year. This season was the debut of head coach Michael Louis, a UConn alumnus who previously coached at the University of Hartford. With Carr as the only senior on the team this year, all of UConn's remaining players from this season's lineup are expected to return for the upcoming season.