Women's Tennis: UConn loses at conference championship
The UConn women's tennis team concluded their season this past Thursday, losing to the University of Cincinnati Bearcats 4-1 in their opening match of the American Athletic Conference Championships.
Senior Lucy Nutting got the sole point for the Huskies against the Bearcats, winning her No. 4 singles match against Cincinnati's Katya Bure. Nutting would lose just three games in that match, winning it 6-2, 6-1.
Sophomore Srna Stosljevic forced a tiebreak in her No. 1 singles match against Kelly Poggensee-Wei, before losing the first set 6-7. Poggensee-Wei opened up a two-break advantage in the second however, taking the match 7-6, 6-2.
Freshman Emma Alderman dropped the first set of the No. 2 singles match to Cincinnati's Ashleigh Witte, getting blanked 0-6. Alderman kept the match closer in the second set, but ultimately dropped the match to Witte, 0-6, 4-6.
Cincinnati and UConn met once before this season, contesting a dual meet on Feb. 28. The Bearcats were also victorious in that matchup, winning five of six singles matches and two of three doubles matches for a 6-1 victory.
The Huskies finish the 2013-14 season with an 8-12 record. The season marked head coach Glenn Marshall's 21st season at UConn. Three seniors, Nutting, Jennifer Learmonth and Marie Gargiulio, played their last matches for UConn in the tournament meet.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest