Women's Tennis: UConn loses at conference championship
The UConn women's tennis team concluded their season this past Thursday, losing to the University of Cincinnati Bearcats 4-1 in their opening match of the American Athletic Conference Championships.
Senior Lucy Nutting got the sole point for the Huskies against the Bearcats, winning her No. 4 singles match against Cincinnati's Katya Bure. Nutting would lose just three games in that match, winning it 6-2, 6-1.
Sophomore Srna Stosljevic forced a tiebreak in her No. 1 singles match against Kelly Poggensee-Wei, before losing the first set 6-7. Poggensee-Wei opened up a two-break advantage in the second however, taking the match 7-6, 6-2.
Freshman Emma Alderman dropped the first set of the No. 2 singles match to Cincinnati's Ashleigh Witte, getting blanked 0-6. Alderman kept the match closer in the second set, but ultimately dropped the match to Witte, 0-6, 4-6.
Cincinnati and UConn met once before this season, contesting a dual meet on Feb. 28. The Bearcats were also victorious in that matchup, winning five of six singles matches and two of three doubles matches for a 6-1 victory.
The Huskies finish the 2013-14 season with an 8-12 record. The season marked head coach Glenn Marshall's 21st season at UConn. Three seniors, Nutting, Jennifer Learmonth and Marie Gargiulio, played their last matches for UConn in the tournament meet.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall
- A Tip About Secondhand Smoke and Asthma
- Save Energy and Money With Home Lighting Techniques
- Former Smoker: You Can Quit