Softball Notebook: Duggan comes up big in extra innings win

By Dan Madigan

As game one of Friday's doubleheader against American Athletic Conference rival Temple went into extra innings, the Huskies became aware of how crucial a win would be in order to move up in the AAC standings and improve their seeding in next month's AAC tournament.
Pitcher Lauren Duggan rose to the occasion and came through with her best performance all season.
The junior from Norwood, Mass went the distance, scattering six hits over 10 innings. She allowed four runs, but only two were earned, as she managed to work around three errors from shortstop Lexi Gifford.
After allowing one run in the first, third, fourth and seventh, Duggan saved her best innings for last, shutting out Temple in the last three innings and only allowing one hit while fanning three. Coach Karen Mullins was thrilled with Duggan's gutsy performance.
"I was really pleased, I felt like (Duggan) got stronger as the game went on, and that was good to see," Coach Mullins said. "She hung in there and I think that everybody rallied around her."
Duggan's stellar performance gave the Huskies their 11th win of the season and their first conference win since they beat Memphis twice in Storrs on March 29.
Unfortunately, UConn was unable to build off their momentum in game two, as they lost to the Owls 4-2. Kayla Doty and Alyson Ambler were unable to silence the Temple bats as the Huskies lost their 30th game of the season.
In the final game on Sunday, Duggan was once again in the circle and she did not disappoint. Duggan threw a complete game, striking out six and walking four while only surrendering three runs. Unfortunately, she did not receive sufficient offensive support, as UConn scored their only two runs on a home run from Heather Fyfe in the bottom of the second.
Duggan's 1-1 weekend gave her a 7-18 record on the season in 29 appearances.
Overall, she has thrown a team high 12 complete games and has the lowest ERA while accounting for nearly half of the team's 269.2 innings pitched.