Women's Basketball: Before Louisville, UConn hosts SMU in conference tilt
A marquee national championship rematch between UConn and Louisville looms on the horizon. Southern Methodist, however, comes first.
The Mustangs (14-7, 5-5 American Athletic Conference) are the lone new conference opponent that the top-ranked Huskies have yet to play.
Thus far, UConn (23-0, 10-0 American Athletic Conference) has knocked off each of its new American foes. Central Florida, Memphis, Houston and Temple - twice - have all fallen victim and accounted for half of the first-place Huskies' conference wins.
SMU, which sits fifth in the conference and the highest of those five new opponents, seemingly presents the biggest challenge to UConn among that group.
The Mustangs have twice given the No. 4 Cardinals a competitive game, losing by margins of 20 and 15 points, and played a respectable South Florida squad to a 14-point defeat.
To date, SMU's most impressive wins have been a double-overtime victory over Memphis and a 66-47 win over Cincinnati that came last week.
UConn also enters Tuesday night's matchup having recently played the Bearcats - an 86-29 drubbing on Saturday was the most recent of the Huskies' wins.
In contrast to recent wins that saw Breanna Stewart and Bria Hartley take over and lead the way, UConn's win over Cincinnati was a more balanced effort.
Five players-Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Moriah Jefferson, Saniya Chong, Stewart and Hartley - all posted double-digit points in the blowout. Stewart, Jefferson, Chong and Brianna Banks all contributed with at least three assists.
Tip-off between the Huskies and Mustangs is set for 7 p.m. Tuesday at Gampel Pavilion. The game can be seen on SNY.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit