Fast fashion: cultural problem or savior?
Perhaps one of the foremost changes in the fashion industry in recent years has been the rise of fast fashion merchants like H&M and Express. Though fast fashion certainly has its problems, as Alexandra outlines, it also has incredible benefits. For better or worse (and often both), fast fashion has become a major part of the fashion market and the industry as a whole, and it brings its own unique benefits.
First and foremost, fast fashion outlets remediate the isolation felt by mainstream consumers as a result of the fashion industry's exclusivity. The fashion industry actually thrives on being inaccessible to most of the world's consumer population, marketing the most carefully-made, detail-oriented designs to the world's wealthiest and most selective consumers. This was a much more acceptable phenomenon before the rise of social media, which has since allowed consumers a much greater sense of access to the goings-on in the fashion world, and they now want in. Fast fashion gives consumers a way to access these trends.
Furthermore, while designers can achieve wide acclaim marketing to this small population, they are becoming aware of the untapped resource that the general public can provide. By offering small collections, or even just their influences, to the likes of Target and H&M, they can give the public a small, controlled taste of their work with the hopes of increasing public interest.
Finally, the low prices of fast-fashion clothing and the quick turnover rates of fashion trends are a match made in heaven. Though many pieces from designer collections are designed to accommodate multiple looks and trends for future years, a large majority of them embody a designer's of-the-moment take on a fleeting industry-wide trend. Fast fashion allows consumers to experiment with these trends while paying an appropriate cost-per-wear for the trendy garment.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest