'Community': that's a wrap!

By Matt Gantos

It's a wrap for season five of "Community." And thank goodness it's a wrap and not a $5-footlong.
With happy endings all around including the committee saving Greendale from Subway, Jeff and Britta deciding that they were idiots for thinking about getting married and Chang filling his mouth in with diamonds, what more could you ask for?
Most fans will tell you, "Season six! We want season six!" Dan Harmon's glorious return for the fifth season of the show hopefully will prove to NBC that "Community" is an asset to the network.
Fans repeatedly butt heads with NBC and all they have learned is that you might not break the wall, but you will sure annoy the people on the other side until they give you what you want.
This season was short, lasting only 13 episodes, about half the length of the first three seasons. This was addressed by Abed at the end of the finale when he mentions to Annie that he's sorry he didn't have time to wish her happy birthday or Christmas or Halloween or any other traditional holidays. "But maybe next year," Abed said, giving a small glimmer of hope that NBC would renew the show for a sixth season, and that the creators are at least trying.
Since at least the end of season three, fans have been campaigning for "Six seasons and a movie." The slogan is catchy and highlights the right length of content for a respectable show that hasn't overstayed its welcome.
The final episode was well put together and crammed full of witty jokes.
The remaining core group, minus Shirley, ventures into a secret section of Greendale that had been hidden since the '70s to find a rumored treasure and save the school from being sold to Subway.
There were plenty of '70s references, which made it questionable that the writers would leave the two characters to represent the older generation out of this plot line. There was also a great deal of fourth wall breaking thanks to Abed's large amount of screen time.
Harmon and the writers like to use Abed to make jabs at NBC and sitcom stereotypes. At one point Abed accuses Jeff and Britta of trying to spin-off into a couples show by getting married, rattling off a hysterical list of possibilities for the show, all equally awful.
NBC's humor would be tested once again before the end of the end of the episode. The very final bit during the credits was a group of teasers for fake NBC shows like, Intensive Karen, Mr. Egypt and Captain Cook. At the end it says, "Coming this Summer or Fall, or possibly even this Winter. Depends on what fails!" with a giant NBC peacock in the background.
Guess we'll all just have to wait and see. NBC holds all the cards.