Passion Pit doesn't hold back performance at Boston University

By Zarrin Ahmed

• Scottish author Tom Hubbard read selections from his novel, ‘Marie B.,’ at the Co-op Wednesday. The novel is based on the diary of Marie Bashkirtseff, the Russian painter.

Passion Pit's performance at Boston University's Agganis Arena was electrifying to say in the least, with visuals I'm sure to remember and showmanship that didn't fail to excite the crowd.
Though the concert was originally scheduled on Saturday, the three feet of snow delivered by Nemo made road conditions insurmountable. Though the main roads of Boston were cleared as best as possible, the snow made the journey up to and through the city difficult and dangerous. But even with the confusion of crossing lanes of car traffic and trolleys, parking inside, going outside and finding the ticket booth, and going outside again to find the venue, the hassle of the whole trip vanished with the air of excitement that surrounded me in Agganis Arena.
Frontman Michael Angelakos, keyboardist and guitarist Ian Hultquist, synthesizer Xander Singh, bassist Jeff Apruzzese and drummer Donmoyer founded Passion Pit in 2007 and they all attended the Berkelee College of Music in Boston with the exception of Angelakos who attended Emerson College. The first four songs of the band's first album were actually written by Angelakos as a gift to his girlfriend. Having established a fan base in Emerson, Angelakos later met up with Hultquist and began the Passion Pit project together. Some of the first tracks they release as EP singles include "Sleepyhead," "Cuddle Fuddle" and "I've Got Your Number." Their newest album, "Gossamer," was released this year with critical acclaim for songs like "Talk a Walk" and "Carried Away."
After a 45 minute opening set from Matt and Kim, and a 45 minute intermission, the lights in the entire arena turned off to introduce the band. Agganis Arena, in the heart of Boston University and the city itself, was filled with students and fans with two sections on the floor and dozens more in the stands. With floating globes of canvassed lights surrounding the stage, Angelakos broke out onto the stage with energy, causing the crowd to erupt with screams.
They performed many of the songs off the new album, including "Talk a Walk" and "Carried Away," but threw in a couple of old songs like "To Kingdom Come." The entire night I waited for my favorites, "Sleepyhead," "Cuddle Fuddle," and off the new album, "Constant Conversations." Song after song with the orbs of light illumination the stage and bright lights flashing into the crowd, Angelakos kept his upbeat performance. When he got to "Constant Conversations" I felt ecstatic to sing along with the crowd (he makes it easy with this song in a part that goes "everybody now!"). Though he ended the concert with a bang, the crowd did not stop cheering after the musicians left the stage, demanding "Sleepyhead." Knowing they wouldn't disappoint their fans, I waited for the song and was compelled to stand and dance. The concert ended on exactly the right note.