Column: Cleaning through the snow

By Andrew Callahan
On November 7, 2012

Congratulations. Our first snowfall is in the books and the first general public freak out about it is complete. How'd you spend your time in premature winter wonderland? Probably not as well as I did: cleaning.
 There's no better way to run scared from a couple inches of precipitation than to stay in and clean (all other possible activities of course excluded). So, here's all the goodies, tidbits and thoughts I found cleaning out the one thing every good sportswriter should have: a messy but dependable notebook.
Hey, remember those replacement ref guys?
Something tells me athletics and overall enrollment at the University of Colorado are really, really about to pick up.
If I were athletic director Warde Manuel, I would give serious thought to handing Paul Pasquanloni an end of the year ultimatum that offensive coordinator George DeLeone has to go. His unit has woefully underperformed this season to the point of being one of the absolute worst in the country. The gameday strategic decisions are baffling and reports of a serious gloom and doom air around the guy are long-standing. Manuel's a football guy, so its time to make the call that Coach P in all likelihood, won't.
Final note: I don't want to hear another word about this team losing partly because Pasqualoni is old. Here's one name to prove me right: Bill Snyder. Who's that? Try the 73-year old head coach of No. 2 Kansas State born back in 1939- 10 full years before Pasqualoni.
Can people please stop finding bogus reasons to bring up Tim Tebow? He's become as relevant and topical as Kardashian marriage jokes.
Not enough attention is being paid to the third-best field hockey team in the country. UConn hosts Northeastern Saturday and should play the winner of No. 6 Maryland/No. 16 Lafayette on Sunday for the right to go to the Final Four. If you can, head to Sherman Family Complex and cheer them on.
Fantasy football just downright pisses me off sometimes.
Back to the refs for a second- what do you think the chances are of the Packers getting left out of the playoffs by one game? You know, essentially because of the injustice done to them in Seattle? Now, the biggest team not in green and yellow to affect that will be suddenly resurgent Detroit. The Lions aren't as good as Green Bay, but they do face two chances to knock off the Pack going forward. It could happen.
Speaking of which, I can't wait for Thanksgiving break; the annual slaughter of some fat birds and said Lions. This year with the Texans in Motown, neither of those traditions is likely to change.
The all-star-studded Lakers started 0-3. I am giggly.
Then again, the Celtics decided to merely match wits with the Wizards instead of casting them aside and suddenly, I am not as giggly as before.
Speaking of which, it's time to see my doctor and/or get a flu shot. I'm still very nauseous from seeing Ray Allen in a Heat uniform night in and night out.
I like the idea of the men's hockey team dipping its toe to the ice at the XL Center before they move there in two years. The Huskies take on Air Forcie in Hartford on Nov. 24, the Saturday after Thanksgiving. However, I don't like the fact that the Connecticut Whale only filled one third of XL for their games last year and the atmosphere for UConn isn't going to be better in the future. You know where it will be though? At home, in Storrs.
The pro guys in the rink apparently had talks in a secret location with NHL owners a few days ago. I don't care if it was in Thailand or Candy Land and neither should anyone else. Just get it done.
Now, let me give this straight: Given the Cowboys' .500 record since their last Super Bowl, Jerry Jones the owner says he 100 percent would have fired Jerry Jones the general manager already. Except J.J. the GM is still working. In addition, the interests of J.J. the owner have always been in what's best for the team. Well, I've officially been blown away by the sense down in big D.
What an effort put forth by LSU against Alabama last weekend. All the credit in the world has to go to those Tiger players, who pushed themselves and performed exceptionally for 60 minutes. It seemed certain as the championship being held this January that Alabama would be right there playing in it. Somehow, not anymore.
Somewhat related, go Oregon. Kenjon Barner is probably still running with some USC defender far behind receiving the heimlich only to spew endless dust.
You know, power rankings are pretty pointless. So what if some pundit rates your or my team below another at one point in a season? It doesn't mean a thing. Any team is only as good as how it performs in its next game. The outcome of that contest (or any really) will solely be determined by how the competitors match up and battle against one another, schematically and personnel-wise. Once the clock starts, throw everything else out the window.
Props to the UConn football defense, top-10 in the country in yards allowed per game at 290. It should be noted they've played a cupcake schedule, but on the other hand, the unit's also been alongside an offense that makes opposing defenses look like top-10 material too.
I'm really moved by the efforts of the Indianapolis community and the Colts organization to rally behind first-year head coach Chuck Pagano, who continues to battle Leukemia. Special stuff going on in the Circle City- a fine place to visit I might add.
From the bottom of my heart, a big thank you to everyone who took the time to vote or give to Hurricane Sandy relief efforts. Your actions over the past 10 days mean more than any words that will ever appear in this space.
With that said, a public service announcement in relation to the damages sustained from Winter Storm Athena:
Do avoid the yellow snow.

Follow Andrew on Twitter:
@ACallahan24