Huskies finish final tune-up before regular season

By Tyler Morrissey
On November 7, 2012

HARTFORD -- Holy Family may have thrown everything they had at UConn during the first half of the game Wednesday night, but it still wasn't enough to defeat the Huskies, who beat the Tigers 119-50.
UConn had to overcome early turnover troubles, as well as contend with a Holy Family team that shot 50 percent from behind three point arc. The Tigers managed to score 12 points off 10 UConn turnovers in the first half of the game.
UConn committed a total of 11 fouls in the game, which is one of the things that head coach Geno Auriemma said his inexperienced players need to work on.
"You foul when you have a lot of inexperienced guys," said Auriemma. "When you look at the fouls, Moriah needs to learn to keep her hands off people, Kaleena the same thing."
The Huskies fixed their turnover issues in the second half and only committed three turnovers, which led to zero points for Holy Family. The Huskies also managed to out-rebound Holy Family by 49-22. UConn took a commanding lead midway through the second half, which included a 30-0 run before Holy Family's Molly Hanlon scored a layup at 14:43.
Auriemma said that this team is a team that can shoot well, a point that was emphasized by the Huskies' 18-34 shooting average from behind the arc.
"I don't think offense if going to be a problem," Auriemma said. "It's not going to be every night that you go out there and make 18 threes. We probably took more threes than I would have liked, but sometimes the other team can dictate that too because they put five guys in the lane and dare you to shoot."
Freshmen continue to shine in Hartford
Freshmen shone on Wednesday night, continuing the teams' earlier success at Gampel last week. Freshman forward Breanna Stewart went 4-5 in the first half of play, which included two threes. Freshman guard Moriah Jefferson went 3-4, while guard Morgan Tuck scored two points off of the three field goals she attempted.
Stewart would only add to her point total in the second half, as she went 7-14 on the evening including 2-4 from the three point line. Auriemma said he was impressed by and even said he saw from Stewart and even say shades of former Husky Maya Moore.
"She's a lot like Maya mentally, that's kind of how Maya was," said Auriemma. "The mindset is they just kind of wander until the ball finds them and they decide to make a play."
All three freshmen finished the evening scoring in the double digits in points. Stewart led the freshmen with a total of 21, Jefferson finished with 12 and Tuck ended her evening with 14 points.
Caroline Doty returns to the court
Redshirt senior Caroline Doty returned to the court Wednesday night after missing Saturday's contest with Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Doty shot 1-1 in the first half against the Tigers with a 3-pointer. In the second half, Doty added eight points to her total, to finish the night with 11 points.
The Huskies will be back in action on Sunday, Nov. 11, when they open up the 2012-2013 regular season against College of Charleston. Tipoff is scheduled at Gampel Pavilion at 1:30 p.m. TV coverage will be carried by SNY, while a radio broadcast can be heard on 91.7 FM WHUS or online at whus.org