Editorial: Staff who keep UConn functioning during snow storms deserve a thank you
The snow has been hard on all of us over the past few weeks, but for the people who shovel the sidewalks, plow the roads and keep our dining halls open and buildings clean, winter weather is especially challenging. We would like to commend them for the job they've done keeping our university running smoothly.
Dealing with the snow at UConn is a big job. The university has more than 50 miles of sidewalks and roads to be cleared after every snowstorm. Snow removal crews usually have to come in as soon as it starts snowing and stay until the job is done. That can mean getting up at 4 a.m. or staying through the night if that's what it takes to get the roads clear. We may feel like snow removal is taking forever at times, but the UConn facilities staff is hard at work during that time.
The dining hall staff also deserve thanks for keeping us well-fed during blizzards. We can always count on the dining hall to be open, even during the worst weather, and usually it's impossible to tell that dining services is dealing with the challenges of snow. Their emergency staff stays on campus if necessary so we can have hot meals all through a snow storm.
The custodial staff has also been keeping our buildings clean and comfortable. Snow, mud and dirt in many combinations all end up inside and make their jobs much harder this time of year.
Many other UConn employees from various departments have been working hard to make sure the university stays open and runs smoothly. The police and fire departments, administrators, maintenance staff and countless other UConn employees have gone above and beyond to make sure everything is in working order.
There's so much involved in the operations of the school, even without weather hazards, that a relative lack of problems on campus is a real achievement. There have been plenty of inconveniences, but overall, we're pretty well taken care of during the winter. We have the UConn staff to thank for that.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?