Huskies hosts UConn Open

By Sarah Levine

The UConn Men's Swimming and Diving team hosted the non-team scoring event, the UConn Open, last Saturday at the Wolff-Zackin Natatorium.

The event featured swimmers from various other universities including Keene State, Providence College, Central Connecticut State University and Boston College.  Although points were not awarded to teams as a whole, many Huskies grabbed impressive first and second place finishes.  

Kyungsoo Yoon, a double winner at the Open, stole the top spots in the 100-yard breaststroke with a final time of 59.15 seconds, as well as the 200-yard freestyle with a final time of 1:42.32.  

The success continued with four other Huskies winning their respective events.   

Sophomore Lachezar Shumkov won the 500-yard IM with a time of 4:10:43.  Sawyer Franz was victorious in the 200-yard IM, closely followed by fellow UConn teammates Justyn Alexandre, Asher Garcia, Joe Glowacki and Ben Yacano who secured the first five spots for UConn.  The Huskies also met success in the butterfly events, with freshman Mike Lennon winning the 200-yard race in 1:55.23 and junior Sean Battle taking the 100-yard race in 52.73.  Greg Baliko and Nick Cerra rounded out the top three after Battle, contributing to UConn's butterfly domination.  

Second place winners included senior Sean Cook, who finished the 500-yard freestyle and the 200-yard backstroke with times of 4:43.45 and 1:56.47, respectively.  Junior Keith Piper finished just behind Yoon in the 200-yard freestyle for a second place finish of 1:45.13.  

The UConn men's swimming and diving team will prepare to travel to Indianapolis, Indiana to kick off its post-season by competing in the Big East Championship from February 27 to March 2.