Huskies hosts UConn Open
The UConn Men's Swimming and Diving team hosted the non-team scoring event, the UConn Open, last Saturday at the Wolff-Zackin Natatorium.
The event featured swimmers from various other universities including Keene State, Providence College, Central Connecticut State University and Boston College. Although points were not awarded to teams as a whole, many Huskies grabbed impressive first and second place finishes.
Kyungsoo Yoon, a double winner at the Open, stole the top spots in the 100-yard breaststroke with a final time of 59.15 seconds, as well as the 200-yard freestyle with a final time of 1:42.32.
The success continued with four other Huskies winning their respective events.
Sophomore Lachezar Shumkov won the 500-yard IM with a time of 4:10:43. Sawyer Franz was victorious in the 200-yard IM, closely followed by fellow UConn teammates Justyn Alexandre, Asher Garcia, Joe Glowacki and Ben Yacano who secured the first five spots for UConn. The Huskies also met success in the butterfly events, with freshman Mike Lennon winning the 200-yard race in 1:55.23 and junior Sean Battle taking the 100-yard race in 52.73. Greg Baliko and Nick Cerra rounded out the top three after Battle, contributing to UConn's butterfly domination.
Second place winners included senior Sean Cook, who finished the 500-yard freestyle and the 200-yard backstroke with times of 4:43.45 and 1:56.47, respectively. Junior Keith Piper finished just behind Yoon in the 200-yard freestyle for a second place finish of 1:45.13.
The UConn men's swimming and diving team will prepare to travel to Indianapolis, Indiana to kick off its post-season by competing in the Big East Championship from February 27 to March 2.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest