Men's tennis drops two in Florida

By Michael Peng

The UConn men's tennis team opened their spring season by going 1-2 in their three matches down in Florida over the weekend.

The Huskies started their trip off on a high note by defeating the Webber International Warriors 4-3 on Friday in Haines City, Fla.

However, the Huskies couldn't carry the momentum with them to Orlando. over the next two days as they dropped both contests to the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles and the University of Central Florida Knights, 0-7, at the UCF Tennis Complex.

"It was difficult to make the transition from the indoor courts to the windy outdoor courts," freshman Mark HoSang said. "It didn't allow us to play our game, especially in doubles. The wind kept us away from utilizing our good volleys."

Both the Eagles and the Knights swept through the doubles competition.

"There is no doubt that the three Florida teams were better at utilizing the wind to either exploit us or to stay in a point that they should've lost," HoSang added.

The Huskies struggled as a group in singles competition as well. They combined to win only two sets in the two competitions. Freshman James Cohen picked up a set in the No. 5 singles spot against Jackson Moore of the Eagles, and sophomore Wayne Harrell collected the other in his match at the No. 1 singles position against Jorge Blasco of the UCF Knights.

"Their players are very talented, I played as well as I could against the stiff competition," HoSang said. "The positive we can take from this is that we all competed to the best of all our abilities and we did come back with one 'W.'"

The Huskies will look to rebound later this week as they host Georgetown a Big East Conference matchup on Friday at the UConn Tennis Courts.