Students get ready to strip down for charity
Students get ready to run at last year’s Underwear Mile. The Underwear Mile is run by UConn Empower and raises money for charity. Stephen Quick/The Daily Campus
The Underwear Mile will take place Sunday, April 27 on Fairfield Way outside the Student Union at 4 p.m. The event will include DJs Nemectro and Comatose, beach balls, silly string, crazy costumes and purple fog. UConn Empower will be hosting the Underwear Mile as a fundraiser for their work in India.
"This year we are working with a small school for unprivileged children who can't afford normal school in northern India. We are working on a couple projects there involving agriculture and technology," said UConn Empower's president Lior Trestman.
The motto for this event is "Dare to Bare." The event centers around the idea that students go in their underwear, though any crazy costumes are allowed. The idea was to create an event that would lead to the student body coming together as a community.
"The initial premise was to run in your underwear and so people typically aren't comfortable being outside in your underwear but we figured that if everyone's out there then you can be uncomfortable together and it's a bonding experience," said Trestman.
The fee for registration is five dollars, and the money raised at the event will all go toward their work in India.
"Every penny that we raise goes towards these projects [for the school]. All the money we raise either goes towards laptops or projectors or whatever kind of long-term sustaining things that we need to bring," said Trestman.
UConn Empower has been working on this event since the last Underwear Mile. During the year, they had a committee that worked to advertise, get sponsors and design the T-shirt for this year.
"It has been a year long process. UConn Empower oversees the event but we also have a subcommittee," UConn Empower's event coordinator Yue Lin.
"We try to put on fundraiser on campus that really big and exciting. Our motto is putting the fun back into fundraiser. We try to do that by putting on events that as many people as possible will want to come to," stated Trestman.
The Underwear Mile allows students to engage in a unique experience to celebrate all UConn has to offer and give students an outlet to promote school spirit.
"There is simply nothing like it in your college experience. It is a gathering of everyone on campus and it is fun and when else are you going to be able to run outside in your underwear and not be embarrassed. I think it is very fun and unique and it really celebrates the student spirit at UConn," said Lin.
The event helps to promote awareness and add to the UConn community as well as places abroad.
"I think people should go to it to help a good cause and to have a lot of fun the weekend before finals," said Trestman.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit