Students get ready to strip down for charity

By Sandy Mueller

• Students get ready to run at last year’s Underwear Mile. The Underwear Mile is run by UConn Empower and raises money for charity. Stephen Quick/The Daily Campus

The Underwear Mile will take place Sunday, April 27 on Fairfield Way outside the Student Union at 4 p.m. The event will include DJs Nemectro and Comatose, beach balls, silly string, crazy costumes and purple fog. UConn Empower will be hosting the Underwear Mile as a fundraiser for their work in India.
"This year we are working with a small school for unprivileged children who can't afford normal school in northern India. We are working on a couple projects there involving agriculture and technology," said UConn Empower's president Lior Trestman.
The motto for this event is "Dare to Bare." The event centers around the idea that students go in their underwear, though any crazy costumes are allowed. The idea was to create an event that would lead to the student body coming together as a community.
"The initial premise was to run in your underwear and so people typically aren't comfortable being outside in your underwear but we figured that if everyone's out there then you can be uncomfortable together and it's a bonding experience," said Trestman.
The fee for registration is five dollars, and the money raised at the event will all go toward their work in India.
"Every penny that we raise goes towards these projects [for the school]. All the money we raise either goes towards laptops or projectors or whatever kind of long-term sustaining things that we need to bring," said Trestman.
UConn Empower has been working on this event since the last Underwear Mile. During the year, they had a committee that worked to advertise, get sponsors and design the T-shirt for this year.
"It has been a year long process. UConn Empower oversees the event but we also have a subcommittee," UConn Empower's event coordinator Yue Lin.
"We try to put on fundraiser on campus that really big and exciting. Our motto is putting the fun back into fundraiser. We try to do that by putting on events that as many people as possible will want to come to," stated Trestman.
The Underwear Mile allows students to engage in a unique experience to celebrate all UConn has to offer and give students an outlet to promote school spirit.
"There is simply nothing like it in your college experience. It is a gathering of everyone on campus and it is fun and when else are you going to be able to run outside in your underwear and not be embarrassed. I think it is very fun and unique and it really celebrates the student spirit at UConn," said Lin.
The event helps to promote awareness and add to the UConn community as well as places abroad.
"I think people should go to it to help a good cause and to have a lot of fun the weekend before finals," said Trestman.