Baseball: South Florida takes two out of three from Huskies

By Matt Zampini

Riding a six game winning streak, the UConn baseball team was hot entering the beginning of conference play against South Florida.
UConn's streak was halted by the Bulls, however, as South Florida took two out of three games from the Huskies to open the American Conference schedule.
The Huskies' offense struggled in the weekend opener, only grabbing two hits off the Bulls' pitching staff in a 2-1 loss. South Florida's Jimmy Herget tossed a gem for the Bulls, taking a no-hit bid into the eighth inning. Herget's no-hit bid was broken up when UConn freshman Aaron Hill notched an infield single. Blake Davey recorded the other hit for the Huskies.
Freshman Anthony Kay made his first college start on Friday. Kay pitched five-plus innings, allowing one run on three hits with six strikeouts and five walks.
Anthony Marzi took the mound on Saturday, throwing 7.2 innings, allowing three runs off three hits. Marzi struck out nine batters and in the process moved into 10th place all-time in UConn history with 180 career strikeouts. Marzi needs just one more strikeout to move past John Kelly for ninth in program history.
After failing to reach base for the first time in 27 games on Friday, Vinny Siena led the Huskies on offense on Saturday with three hits. Bobby Melley drove in UConn's first run in the eighth inning by getting hit by a pitch. Bryan Daniello then bounced into a double play that drove in the second run for the Huskies.
Down by four runs in the ninth, the Huskies threatened with runners at the corners but couldn't convert.
Brian Ward was able to save the weekend for the Huskies on the mound on Sunday. Ward took a no-hitter into the seventh inning and finished with a final stat line of 6.2 innings, allowing two runs and three hits in the 4-2 victory.
UConn jumped to an early lead in the first inning. After Siena and Blake Davey each reached base with a single, Melley brought both of them home with a double of his own.
In the fourth inning, Ryan Sullivan tripled and eventually scored on a wild pitch to make it 3-0, and the Huskies quickly scored another in the fifth inning to make it 4-0.
The Bulls did not go quietly, though. South Florida tacked on two runs in the bottom of the seventh. Head coach Jim Penders pulled Ward in favor of David Mahoney to close the deal for the Huskies.
UConn (11-10, 1-2 American) will have a quick turnaround, as they will be back on the diamond on Tuesday to face the Hartford Hawks at J.O. Christian Field for their first home game of the year.