Huskies do away with the bulldogs
The UConn softball team went to Bryant University yesterday and defeated the Bulldogs 10-2 in a non-conference matchup.
The Huskies picked up their 12th victory of the season and their third win in their last five games.
Senior Katelyn Callahan started for UConn on the mound and pitched five innings, gaining her second win of the season. The right hander allowed four hits and two runs while striking out five and only walking two.
The Huskies got on the board early against Bryant and never looked back. Junior infielder Emily O'Donnell hit an RBI single that scored sophomore infielder Valerie Sadowl for the first run of the game. Sophomore outfielder Heather Fyfe also added an RBI single that scored senior outfielder Maddy Schiappa. O'Donnell later scored on a sacrifice fly from sophomore infielder Lexi Gifford.
Both teams went scoreless in the second inning before UConn once again rallied in the third. The Huskies got a run off of an RBI double from Fyfe who later came around to score on a single from sophomore infielder Jacklyn Dubois. The big hit during the inning was a two-run double from Dubois that gave UConn a seven run lead.
Bryant was able to get two runs off of Callahan in fifth inning but that would be it for their offense on the day. UConn added three more insurance runs in the top of the 7th to cap off a huge offensive day.
Fyfe once again had a strong offensive showing for the Huskies. She totaled two hits in four at bats along with two runs scored and two RBIs, improving her season average to .302, the second highest on the team.
Sadowl also continues to lead the Huskies offensively. She finished with three RBIs on the day as well as two walks and one run scored in the lead-off spot.
The Huskies return to the field on Thursday when they will square off against New England rival UMass at 4 p.m. at Burrill Family Field.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit