Huskies do away with the bulldogs

By Spencer Mayfield

The UConn softball team went to Bryant University yesterday and defeated the Bulldogs 10-2 in a non-conference matchup.

The Huskies picked up their 12th victory of the season and their third win in their last five games.

Senior Katelyn Callahan started for UConn on the mound and pitched five innings, gaining her second win of the season. The right hander allowed four hits and two runs while striking out five and only walking two. 

The Huskies got on the board early against Bryant and never looked back. Junior infielder Emily O'Donnell hit an RBI single that scored sophomore infielder Valerie Sadowl for the first run of the game. Sophomore outfielder Heather Fyfe also added an RBI single that scored senior outfielder Maddy Schiappa. O'Donnell later scored on a sacrifice fly from sophomore infielder Lexi Gifford. 

Both teams went scoreless in the second inning before UConn once again rallied in the third. The Huskies got a run off of an RBI double from Fyfe who later came around to score on a single from sophomore infielder Jacklyn Dubois. The big hit during the inning was a two-run double from Dubois that gave UConn a seven run lead. 

Bryant was able to get two runs off of Callahan in fifth inning but that would be it for their offense on the day. UConn added three more insurance runs in the top of the 7th to cap off a huge offensive day.

Fyfe once again had a strong offensive showing for the Huskies. She totaled two hits in four at bats along with two runs scored and two RBIs, improving her season average to .302, the second highest on the team. 

Sadowl also continues to lead the Huskies offensively. She finished with three RBIs on the day as well as two walks and one run scored in the lead-off spot.

The Huskies return to the field on Thursday when they will square off against New England rival UMass at 4 p.m. at Burrill Family Field.