UConn Huskies thwart the UMass Minutemen

By Scott Carroll

• UConn outfielder Griffin Garabedian slides head first back to first base during a UConn loss to the Temple Owls at home. The Huskies defeated the Umass Minutemen yesterday. STEVEN QUICK/THE DAILY CAMPUS

The UConn Huskies defeated the UMass Minutemen 8-5 in a battle of New England schools yesterday.

Callahan Brown took the hill for UConn, making his first career start for the Huskies. He went just over five innings allowing four runs, two of which were earned, while letting up one walk and striking out five.

The Minutemen got things started early in the bottom of the first inning with two runs. Two UConn errors led to two Minutemen base runners, who were batted in on a single by Adam Picard. 

The Huskies would answer in the top of the third inning with a two out rally. After a single by senior shortstop Tom Verdi and sophomore third baseman Bryan Daniello was hit by a pitch, junior right fielder Blake Davey singled to drive home Verdi, giving the Huskies their first run of the game.  Next at the plate was Bobby Melley who smashed a double to the outfield, scoring Daniello and Davey and giving the Huskies their first lead at 3-2.

UConn struck again in the bottom of the fifth, as Davey came through again with a three-run home run over the right field wall to put the Huskies up even further 6-2.

The Minutemen added two runs in the bottom of the sixth, but UConn struck again in the next half inning when Max McDowell hit a bases-loaded double to score two Huskies.

The Minutemen scored the final run of the game in the bottom of the eighth as Picard went deep to bring the game to its final score of 8-5.

The win brings the Huskies' record to above .500 at 20-19. UConn's next game comes against Quinnipiac today in Hamden, Conn. at 3 p.m.