UConn Huskies thwart the UMass Minutemen
UConn outfielder Griffin Garabedian slides head first back to first base during a UConn loss to the Temple Owls at home. The Huskies defeated the Umass Minutemen yesterday. STEVEN QUICK/THE DAILY CAMPUS
The UConn Huskies defeated the UMass Minutemen 8-5 in a battle of New England schools yesterday.
Callahan Brown took the hill for UConn, making his first career start for the Huskies. He went just over five innings allowing four runs, two of which were earned, while letting up one walk and striking out five.
The Minutemen got things started early in the bottom of the first inning with two runs. Two UConn errors led to two Minutemen base runners, who were batted in on a single by Adam Picard.
The Huskies would answer in the top of the third inning with a two out rally. After a single by senior shortstop Tom Verdi and sophomore third baseman Bryan Daniello was hit by a pitch, junior right fielder Blake Davey singled to drive home Verdi, giving the Huskies their first run of the game. Next at the plate was Bobby Melley who smashed a double to the outfield, scoring Daniello and Davey and giving the Huskies their first lead at 3-2.
UConn struck again in the bottom of the fifth, as Davey came through again with a three-run home run over the right field wall to put the Huskies up even further 6-2.
The Minutemen added two runs in the bottom of the sixth, but UConn struck again in the next half inning when Max McDowell hit a bases-loaded double to score two Huskies.
The Minutemen scored the final run of the game in the bottom of the eighth as Picard went deep to bring the game to its final score of 8-5.
The win brings the Huskies' record to above .500 at 20-19. UConn's next game comes against Quinnipiac today in Hamden, Conn. at 3 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
- Men's Basketball: Jalen Adams commits to UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age
- Comparison-Shopping for Life Insurance Made Easy