Toss Up: What should the Colts do with Peyton Manning?

Keep him

By David Marinstein

The NFL postseason came to a close this past weekend with a victory for the New York Giants in the Super Bowl over the New England Patriots. Ironically, the game was played in Indianapolis, home to the Colts and Peyton Manning (the older brother of Giants' quarterback Eli Manning). This season was an eerily somber one in Indy. The Colts, who are usually championship contenders, were nothing more than a sinking ship all season long. The people of Indianapolis were able to celebrate a Manning, just not the one they've grown to love. Peyton Manning underwent two serious neck surgeries during the off-season that disallowed him from part taking in any games throughout this year. If he had played, the team would probably have won around 10 games for the season and had made the playoffs. Without him, the Indianapolis Colts were an abysmal 2-14 and football fans throughout the country saw what Peyton Manning truly meant to his team. The Colts found themselves at the bottom of the AFC, tied for the worst record in the NFL.

But with a terrible season comes a great first round draft pick. The Colts received the number one pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. Most are expecting the team to go after Stanford quarterback, Andrew Luck, arguably the best and "most NFL ready" player in the draft. Without a doubt, this would be a great move for the organization. It is not easy to acquire such a great talent in a draft. But the question remains, what will come of Peyton Manning?

Recently, doctors cleared Peyton Manning to play football once again. He is now allowed to return to the Colts as their quarterback…right? The controversy that surrounds this situation relates back to the possible drafting of Andrew Luck. If the Colts scoop Luck (which they are expected to do), where does that leave Peyton? In my opinion, the Colts will keep Peyton around as the starter in order to provide a mentor for the talented Andrew Luck.

Although Andrew Luck is ready to jump into a starting position, I don't see why he would have any problem with playing behind one of football's best quarterbacks for a few years. The Colts know what they have in Peyton and would be very foolish to just give that up without seeing how he can produce following his surgeries. Peyton is 35 years old and beginning to near the end of his career. He has at least two or three more good seasons left in him. Luck will be groomed behind Manning for a few of these years and then eventually take the reigns of the Colts organization.

The Indianapolis Colts have won at least 10 games every year that Peyton's been their quarterback (except for his rookie season). It would be unjust and a slap in the face for them to part ways with him now. I see the Colts sticking with the great Peyton Manning for a few more seasons before turning to their quarterback of the future, Andrew Luck.