Men's swimming ends dual meet season on high note

By Sarah Levine

The UConn men's swimming and diving team has propelled themselves back over the .500 mark with their win over Colgate on Saturday, concluding their dual meet season with a final record of 4-3.
The Huskies defeated the home team handily by a score of 200-81, posting first place finishes in almost all of the events. The men started the day off snagging the top spot in the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:34.56.
The success continued from there, with five athletes dominating the field in two events each. Senior Kyungsoo Yoon continued his string of successful meets by winning the 50-yard freestyle in 21.03 seconds as well as the 100-yard butterfly in 51.57 seconds. Yoon has been a two-time winner in almost every dual meet this season.
Three other swimmers were two-time winners that day. Junior Keith Piper took home first place in the 100-yard backstroke in 52.28 seconds and the 200-yard backstroke in 1:53.77. Diguan Pigot and Mike Lennon came out strong for the freshman class. Pigot won the 100-yard breaststroke in 57.28 seconds and the 100-yard freestyle in 47.39, while Lennon topped the field with a 4:48.41 500-yard freestyle and a 9:47.85 1000-yard freestyle.
On the diving end, Grant Fecteau was another two-time winner for UConn. He won the one-meter with a score of 300.15 and the three meter with a score of 302.40. His teammate Tony Cortright , who had recently been dealing with flu-like symptoms, followed close behind him with second place scores of 278.10 and 286.50.
Other contributors to the Huskies' win included sophomores Lachezar Shumkov, who won the 200-yard breaststroke in 2:07.51, and Sawyer Franz, who defeated his opponents in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:43.60. Senior Joe Glowacki also had a win on Saturday in the 200-yard butterfly.
UConn will compete again next Saturday when it hosts the UConn Open in the Wolff-Zackin Natatorium.