Timeflies and Chiddy Bang mix freestyle with varying genres

By Claire Galvin
On October 7, 2013

• Vocalist Cal Shapiro of Timeflies performs live Monday night at the Jorgensen. STEVE QUICK/The Daily Campus

Timeflies and Chiddy Bang took the stage in a show that included a plethora of genres and styles, rejuvenating the audience on Monday night.
The groups performed at the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts and brought with them a mix of pop, dub step, electro, rock, hip-hop and rap. Timeflies consists of producer Rob Resnick and vocalist Cal Shapiro.
The hip-hop artist Chiddy Bang opened for the duo. He performed at UConn with his DJ, Jason Smith, and another special guest vocalist.
Chiddy Bang played popular remixed covers such as "I Can't Stop," and "Kids," originally by Flux Pavilion and MGMT, respectively. Timeflies played tunes off their recent album, such as "I Choose U," a favorite among the audience, and "Swoon."
Kristen Biatowas a fifth-semester health care management major said, "The two acts were good choices for UConn's fall concert. It's good to support SUBOG too."
Chiddy Bang formerly held the Guinness world record for long freestyle rap and longest continuous rap in 2011, but has since been outdone. He uses rap and hip-hop within his songs. Chiddy Bang did a piece with Mac Miller, "Heatwave," originally taken from the 1960s Motown hit.
Timeflies released one album in 2011, "The Scotch Tape," a six-track mix tape in 2012, "Under the Influence," and also one EP in the same year, "One Night." Their second EP dropped last night at midnight. Chiddy Bang has been working on a mix tape, which was said to be released in September, titled "Baggage Claim." He released one single this year, "Breathe." This concert is one of the first from "The Warning Signs" tour with Chiddy Bang, and will continue until late November.
Chiddy Bang brought an energy and attitude that only college students would understand. They acted by the carefree ways young adults appreciate, even mentioning that they smoked "hella weed" before arriving at UConn.
Despite the concert being scheduled for a Monday night, attendees were wide awake and dressed in Friday night fashions. The venue had a club-like feel, complete with dancing, jumping, crowd surfing and numerous hands in the air. Although the audience was lively on the standing floor, the seats were mostly behind them, and even sparser on the balcony.
Matt O'Neil, a first-semester finance major attended the concert because it was "something to do on a Monday night other than homework."
Although the majority of the crowd seemed to appreciate Timeflies' approach to performing, not all concert-goers agreed.
"I thought it was kind of lame," said Chris Nunez, a seventh-semester landscape architect major. "It wasn't as good as I thought it would be. He mostly appealed to girls, that's why."
An especially entertaining part of Timeflies' setlist was when they did freestyle with UConn's prominent symbols, such as Wings Over Storrs, Horsebarn Hill, the HuskyTHON and the new logo.
"I think the fact that they are a duo compels them forward," said Shantanu Sharma, a first-semester physiology and neurobiology major.