UConn rowing to head to Worcester to compete in race
The UConn womens' rowing team will travel to Worcester, Mass. on Sunday to compete against Holy Cross. After recieving mixed results at the Knecht Cup in New Jersey last weekend, the Huskies will look to continue improving their rows.
Coach Jen Sanford-Wendry said that the varsity boat has about 15 seconds to make up on Holy Cross, a team they faced in the Knecht Cup. She was optimistic heading back into practice, saying, "I am confident that we still have a lot of speed we can find and I think the races against Holy Cross will be very close."
This is the sixth competition for the Huskies and the last before they race in the well-known Dad Vail Regatta on the Schuylkill River. The match against Holy Cross will be the last chance for Coach Sanford-Wendry to evaluate the lineup in real competition. She said the warm weather this week would be a big help during practice.
UConn's varsity four beat Holy Cross by 12 seconds in their heat in the Knecht Cup. The second varsity, however, won the third final while Holy Cross placed fifth in the grand final. That crew has about seven seconds to make up.
Coach Sanford-Wendry said of the two varsity boats, "Both crews had great performances" in the Knecht Cup. She seemed confident that her crews could quicken their pace in this week of practice and race hard against Holy Cross.
Holy Cross races on Saturday against Colby, Connecticut College, Ithaca & William Smith while UConn will rest. The first day of the fishing season Saturday means there will be too many boats on Coventry Lake to practice, according to Sanford-Wendry.
The Huskies will race Holy Cross on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester at 11 a.m. on Sunday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest