Indie game released on PC and PS4

By Darragh McNicholl

Last summer brought the release of the indie console, the Ouya, and with it came "Towerfall," a four-player archery combat platformer. Since its release, "Towerfall" has grown in popularity to the point where it became the sole reason to buy an Ouya for many fans. Originally this exclusive was destined to go no further than the indie console, but after months of fans raving about the intense fun the game offers, it is finally getting ported. The PS4 and the PC content delivery service, Steam, have released it as "Towerfall Ascension," widening the capacity for a larger fan base.
The original gameplay for "Towerfall" involves up to four players, each controlling one archer running around a two-dimensional platform, with the goal of shooting their opponents with arrows or jumping on their heads. Each player begins with a limited number of arrows that can be fired in any direction as well as be picked up once fired; the arrows also home in on/change direction toward nearby archers. There is also a dodge mechanic, which, if timed correctly, allows you to catch arrows before they hit you. Those in the lead experience handicaps such as having less arrows or giving other players shields. There are also several items that alter play styles such as laser arrows or slow motion orbs, all meant to keep players on their toes. These mechanics work together to create some of the most intense, fun experiences any multiplayer game has to offer.
"Towerfall Ascension" is not just a port of the Ouya game. In fact the amount of options in this already amazing game are almost doubled. There are now eight archers to choose from, 50 new platforms, a number of new items including drill arrows and a co-op quest mode. The competitive multiplayer is still the real shining star to "Towerfall Ascension," but the addition of a wave based two player quest mode is a perfect change of pace when you have only one other friend around. "Towerfall Ascension" is by all accounts the evolution to an already incredible game.
As a local party game "Towerfall Ascension" is akin to the fun of Nintendo's Smash Bros. series, in that it contains much of the same competitiveness. The pace of combat, unpredictability and power to make everyone in the room cheer and laugh is astounding. "Towerfall Ascension" has no online capabilities, but this is much better for the game since the explosive fun comes from the social interaction you have with the player next to you. If you do desire to share with others, the game will play back the last seconds of combat and you can save it as a gif, subjecting the Internet to the glory of your victory. The perfect long shot, a well-timed dodge or even a completely random head jump could end a game in the most absurd way possible and sharing that with friends is what makes this game great.