The Pro Side: Phil Jackson set to join Knicks' front office
The New York Knicks have one of the worst records in the worst conference in the NBA. They are without a first round pick for the foreseeable future and their resident superstar, Carmelo Anthony, could very well be out the door come seasons end. However, the Knicks will have signed one of the greatest basketball minds ever by the end of the week.
Former Lakers and Bulls coach Phil Jackson will be joining the Knicks' front office as president of basketball operations.
Jackson's resume was more than startling, as it includes 11 NBA championships as a coach and one as a player that he won as a member of the Knicks.
With the Knicks seemingly crumbling at the seams, Jackson will provide a reason for New York sports fans to stick with the team. He will act as the symbol of excellence that the team is hoping to move toward.
The team won its first playoff series in over a decade last season and was hoping to improve on that mark. However, dismal team chemistry, combined with the fourth fewest assists in the NBA, has led them to ninth in the Eastern Conference, just outside of the playoffs.
Anthony looks to be on his way out of New York at the end of the season along with other highly paid team assets such as Amare Stoudemire. With talent leaving and no great young players coming in, the Knicks have become one of the hardest puzzles in sports.
It will now be up to Jackson to put the pieces of this puzzle together, even if he has to use glue and a pair of scissors. Jackson never had to look very far for talent in his coaching career as he had two of the best basketball players of the last 20 years. He won six titles with Michael Jordan and five titles with Kobe Bryant.
If Anthony for some reason stays with the Knicks, it will be interesting to see if Jackson can work with him, just as he did Jordan and Bryant.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit