The Pro Side: Phil Jackson set to join Knicks' front office
The New York Knicks have one of the worst records in the worst conference in the NBA. They are without a first round pick for the foreseeable future and their resident superstar, Carmelo Anthony, could very well be out the door come seasons end. However, the Knicks will have signed one of the greatest basketball minds ever by the end of the week.
Former Lakers and Bulls coach Phil Jackson will be joining the Knicks' front office as president of basketball operations.
Jackson's resume was more than startling, as it includes 11 NBA championships as a coach and one as a player that he won as a member of the Knicks.
With the Knicks seemingly crumbling at the seams, Jackson will provide a reason for New York sports fans to stick with the team. He will act as the symbol of excellence that the team is hoping to move toward.
The team won its first playoff series in over a decade last season and was hoping to improve on that mark. However, dismal team chemistry, combined with the fourth fewest assists in the NBA, has led them to ninth in the Eastern Conference, just outside of the playoffs.
Anthony looks to be on his way out of New York at the end of the season along with other highly paid team assets such as Amare Stoudemire. With talent leaving and no great young players coming in, the Knicks have become one of the hardest puzzles in sports.
It will now be up to Jackson to put the pieces of this puzzle together, even if he has to use glue and a pair of scissors. Jackson never had to look very far for talent in his coaching career as he had two of the best basketball players of the last 20 years. He won six titles with Michael Jordan and five titles with Kobe Bryant.
If Anthony for some reason stays with the Knicks, it will be interesting to see if Jackson can work with him, just as he did Jordan and Bryant.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...