Public comment period for UConn's water plans extended

By Jackie Wattles
On January 14, 2013

The public comment period for the University of Connecticut and town of Mansfield's joint water supply plan has been extended an additional 27 days and will now end Jan. 31.
The Environmental Impact Evaluation (EIE) was prepared by UConn's Office of Environmental Policy after studies conducted by the University and town of Mansfield projected increases in population and building construction. Analysts have projected these factors will cause water demand to increase by up to 30 percent over the next 17 years.
"Securing additional sources of supply to meet planned growth needs [...] is essential to properly operating and managing a public water supply system," Thomas Callahan, UConn associate vice president, told UConn Today.
The public comment period was originally set to end Dec. 21, but was pushed back until Jan. 4.
The public comment period was extended for a second time in response to pushback against the plan's suggestion to connect water pipelines with the Metropolitan District Commission, which would draw from the Farmington River Basin.
Jason Coite, an environmental compliance analyst with UConn's Office of Environmental Policy, said the timeframe was extended in order to allow more time for people to voice their opinions and understand the "complicated and lengthy document."
A second public hearing has been scheduled for Jan. 22 at 7 p.m. at the Human Resources Training Room at the UConn Health Center's Munson Building in Farmington.