International Women's Group holds Valentines Day event
People of diverse nationalities came together to make Valentine's Day picture frames and share in the social experience together at an event held by the International Women's Group at McMahon Hall this week. Twice a month the International Women's Group holds events like this one with the goal of offering international students and their families a place to socialize and have fun. These events usually involve craft making, exercise or a number of different activities, but the safe environment and opportunity to meet people from different cultures is what matters most.
The events give people who feel isolated by being in another country a place to meet people dealing with the same issues and find help simply by interacting with one another. Those that feel lonely can rely on the International Women's Group to accept them and their culture, "that's why we developed the group," said Laurie Tompkins, the administrator for the group. "Communication, a smile, sharing, gestures, it helps with the loneliness." Although the group works to make everyone feel welcome regardless of the language barriers that may exist, everyone is encouraged to practice their English with anyone at the center.
In addition to the bi-weekly events, the International Women's Group center is open everyday. In fact most people that visit the center do so daily to interact with people from different cultures, make friends or do homework.
Opportunities always abound for people to meet others at the International Women's center. A particularly favorite event is Coffee Hour every Wednesday from 3 to 3 p.m. Everyone is encouraged to come to Coffee Hour and enjoy coffee, tea and snacks while meeting new people. Some weeks involve planned discussions or demonstrations. The center also offers trips across the New England area as well as local ones for people who do not have transportation to go shopping or enjoy events off campus.
The safe environment and social opportunities make this group stand out. The International Women's Center will make you feel comfortable while allowing you to meet new people from all over. According to Laurie Tompkins, anyone can join. You do not need to be an international student to enjoy the center and you will feel welcomed no matter what. Stop on by some time and meet the wonderful people of the International Women's Group.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit