Ceiling colllapses in Delta Gamma house
A large chunk of ceiling collapsed in the Delta Gamma sorority Husky Village house common room around 7 a.m. Thursday morning as a result of a burst pipe. There were no injuries.
The burst pipe set off a fire alarm in the house around 5 a.m., which evacuated the building as well as the neighboring Pi Beta Phi sorority house. At that point, water was coming from the ceiling of the common room and fire department responders came to the scene.
"A pipe froze and burst in the common room," said Lauren Bent, a 6th semester communications major and Delta Gamma member.
Around 7 a.m., the large piece of the ceiling common room collapsed onto the floor and furniture. Delta Gamma members were unable to comment any further on the incident because they were told to follow crisis procedure for the remainder of the situation.
Initial reports of the incident show that the television and some other furniture in the common room was destroyed along with some property belonging to first floor residents of the building.
Renovations were recently done in Husky Village that included new floors in the Delta Gamma house and other houses. It is unclear at this point had badly the floors were damaged by the water from the burst pipe.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care