Ceiling colllapses in Delta Gamma house
A large chunk of ceiling collapsed in the Delta Gamma sorority Husky Village house common room around 7 a.m. Thursday morning as a result of a burst pipe. There were no injuries.
The burst pipe set off a fire alarm in the house around 5 a.m., which evacuated the building as well as the neighboring Pi Beta Phi sorority house. At that point, water was coming from the ceiling of the common room and fire department responders came to the scene.
"A pipe froze and burst in the common room," said Lauren Bent, a 6th semester communications major and Delta Gamma member.
Around 7 a.m., the large piece of the ceiling common room collapsed onto the floor and furniture. Delta Gamma members were unable to comment any further on the incident because they were told to follow crisis procedure for the remainder of the situation.
Initial reports of the incident show that the television and some other furniture in the common room was destroyed along with some property belonging to first floor residents of the building.
Renovations were recently done in Husky Village that included new floors in the Delta Gamma house and other houses. It is unclear at this point had badly the floors were damaged by the water from the burst pipe.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
- Men's Basketball: Jalen Adams commits to UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age
- Comparison-Shopping for Life Insurance Made Easy