Women's Basketball: Hartley leads Huskies in last visit to RAC

By Matt Stypulkoski
On January 21, 2014

UConn and Rutgers have had plenty of good matchups through the years, but this wasn't one of them.
Bria Hartley's 30 points on 11 of 15 shooting more than prevented that, as the No. 1 Huskies (19-0, 6-0 American Athletic Conference) ran away with a 94-64 win in their final trip to the Rutgers Athletic Center before the Scarlet Knights (13-4, 4-2 American) depart for the Big Ten.
Freshman Tyler Scaife tried her best to keep up with Hartley and will Rutgers into contention, but her season-high 22 points were not enough to keep the game close for long.
The Huskies led by just 14 at the half, but a 14-7 run over the first five minutes after the break quickly stretched their lead.
The win was UConn's 11th straight against the Scarlet Knights and improved their dominance in the series to wins in 31 of the last 37 games. The heart of the rivalry came between 2005 and 2008-Rutgers won five contests over the span.
Considering the history between the two squads, both UConn coach Geno Auriemma and Rutgers' C. Vivian Stringer have expressed an interest in continuing the series beyond this series.
"It's not to say it's last time we'll be down here," Auriemma said. "I talk to Vivian about this kind of stuff. I don't imagine it will be last time down here. It's good to bring your team down here in this kind of environment."
The RAC, as it's commonly abbreviated, is known for its hostile crowds and loud acoustics, but the Huskies had little trouble blocking out that distraction on Sunday. The performance more than impressed Stringer, who raved about the Connecticut squad after the game.
"It's Connecticut, and it's everybody else," Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer said. "Whether people want to do deal with it or not. It's Connecticut and everyone else. Talent wise it's clear they are there. Coaching wise it's clear they are there."
Next up for UConn is a rematch with Memphis at the XL Center Tuesday. That game is scheduled for 7 p.m.