Senior given high honor
Lamont spoke to a crowd outside of Jaime Homero Arjona after the room he was scheduled to speak in filled past capacity.
Alexander Velázquez, a senior at UConn studying computer science & engineering and, German studies and minoring in mathematics, was awarded the Department of Career Services first Intern of the Year Award.
Velázquez received this award for his internship with High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart in Stuttgart Germany from March to July 2011.
"Alex was chosen for the 2011 Intern of the Year Award due to his dedication to the organization, academic excellence and his leadership on and off campus," said Tracy Anderson, media and marketing specialist for the Department of Career Services, in an e-mail.
Velázquez is a part of UConn's EUROTECH Program, which is a duel degree program where students earn a bachelor of sciences in engineering and a bachelor of arts in German studies. This program is important because employers like engineers who can interact with other cultures and oftentimes engineers need to communicate in languages other than English, according to EUROTECH's website.
He was nominated by Dr. Friedemann Weidauer, associate professor of German, co-director of EUROTECH and faculty director of the EUROTECH learning community.
"Alexander submitted an 11 page report on his internship in German that demonstrates both his mastery of the foreign language as well as the expertise in his field of engineering," said Weidauer in a Department of Career Services press release.
"While the internship was performed within an academic stetting, the outcomes of Alexander's work were directly implemented by a prestigious company, Porsche of Germany," he added.
UConn's Intern of the Year Award was based off the Cooperative Education and Internship Association's program. This professional association offers a national award every year to student in the United States or Canada, according to a Department of Career Services press release.
Applications for students interning in fall 2011, spring 2012 or summer 2012 will be accepted in October 2012 for UConn's 2012 Intern of the Year.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- ¿Pensando en la jubilación y el Seguro...
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...