Men's Swimming and Diving: 3-0 UConn tops Penn
The UConn men's swimming and diving team notched another win Saturday, edging Penn at home by just six points to remain undefeated for the season.
In one of the final events of the meet, a Wolff-Zackin Natatorium record was broken-twice. Penn's four-man squad finished the 200-yard freestyle relay in 1:23:08; fast enough to break the old record at Wolff-Zackin, but not fast enough to beat the new one set in the lane next to theirs. UConn freshman James Donlevy, junior Felix Samuels, and seniors Sean Battle and Keith Piper finished the same event in 1:22:92, earning the win and the best time in this event in Wolff-Zackin history.
Freshmen Christopher Girg had a good meet as well, recording two first-place finishes. Girg won the 200-yard fly in 1:51.46 and the 500-yard freestyle in 4:33.91. Girg posted multiple first-place finishes in two of his first three meets for UConn.
Other multiple winners included junior Lachezar Shumkov, who won the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 57.08 and the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:03.66, and junior Sawyer Franz, who won the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:51.28 and the 400-yard individual medley in 4:02.27.
Diver Anthony Cortright was able to get the victory in the 3-meter dive event with a score of 281.70, but was beaten by Penn's Jack Stein in the 1-meter dive and took second.
With the victory, the Huskies move to 3-0, and will compete at the Virginia Tech invitational in Blacksburg, Va. The meet is set for Nov. 21-23. William and Mary, Ohio, Liberty, South Carolina and Virginia Tech will also attend.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit