Prepare for graduation with your UConn bucket list

By Alex Sanders
On January 19, 2010

A new semester is upon us and for some that means their last semester at UConn. Graduation is only five months away and some Huskies may feel like they haven't accomplished everything they wanted to while on the Storrs campus. Those people may have studied hard, gotten involved in sports, clubs and university events, but there are some things that every Husky should do before graduation to make his or her experience at UConn complete.
Everyone should have a unique version of this and it may not be an official list, but for those who are interested in completing a UConn bucket list before graduation – now is a great time to start. I will only suggest legal and appropriate acts in this article, for obvious reasons, but those tend to be the most fun anyway. Rumor has it, Huskies can experience a few of these things in a senior year experience class as well.
The first thing that comes to mind when people think about UConn is basketball. Be sure to attend a basketball game and make it a point to high five Jonathan the husky as well as get on the dance cam. If you accomplish both at one game – even better. (You should also have attended and tailgated at least one football game but it is a little late to suggest that now.)
On the way out of Gampel, jump on the husky statue and have someone take a picture of you riding it. Warning: it is best to attempt this in the spring because the metal is still freezing around this time of year.
Diagonally across campus, you'll find Chang's Garden. Home of flaming volcano drinks and tasty Chinese food. They also have somewhat pricey sake bombs. But it is entirely worth the expense. The staff seems to be as excited as the sake drinkers there and when I experienced this myself, they offered to take a lot of pictures of the event.
This next activity should not occur after the sake bombs for obvious health reasons. Students should attend a UConn bar crawl. The big places to attend are Huskies, Thirsty Dog and Ted's. At Ted's, be sure to order a bionic beaver. Don't ask what it contains and be careful – it only comes in a pitcher with a few straws, so pace yourselves. After that, call it a night and continue the rest of the bucket list another day. Don't attempt the next event after a night of drinking.
While there is still enough snow on the ground, drive over to Horsebarn Hill and have a fun-filled day of sledding. It's probably the steepest hill on campus and even if sledding isn't your thing, its worth a try. It might be more fun than you remember.
Once Spring Weekend rolls around, be sure to sign up for an Oozeball team and show your school spirit on a mud volleyball court. That night, take a picture with a police officer while traipsing back from one of the many parties around campus. It is surprising how tolerant they are of mass inebriation and, in a drunken state, it will seem like the best thing that happened that night.
Last but certainly not least, don't forget about senior skip day.
All of these events are at least a good start to a UConn bucket list. Perhaps they will make you feel better about graduating. You can fondly look back on your college career and find comfort that you did everything you could do here.
These activities seem to be safer than some. I have heard rumors of people swimming in Mirror Lake – which I strongly recommend against – and eating at every dining hall on campus in one day, which also seems potentially hazardous.
But everyone's bucket list should be their own. Add as many things to it as you feel you can accomplish before graduation. As long as you're safe about it and you don't try to cram it all into one week, you should be fine. Be warned: some of these events have consequences such as hangovers and upset stomachs. Save those challenges for a weekend. Best of luck with your bucket list endeavors and a good luck this semester – make it count.