Website connects students with sugar daddies

By Alban Murtishi
On January 21, 2014

Name: Jane, Title: "Looking for fun :)"
Expect:$1,001-$3,000 Monthly, Seeking: Sugar Daddy.
This is just one example of the many profiles being posted on www.seekingarrangement.com a dating website that seeks to connect sugar daddies and mommies with sugar babies. The website, which was started in 2006 by CEO Brandon Wade has garnered over 2 million members worldwide, 44 percent of which are college students.
"In a society that idolizes wealth and beauty, our websites help men and women achieve their fantasy lifestyle," said Wade. "Since our inception, our websites have been responsible for thousands of mutually beneficial relationships, and at least five marriages."
Seekingarrangment.com defines a sugar daddy as a "mentor, sponsor, or benefactor who is always respectful, generous, and seeking to help others." Sugar daddies, or mommies, can register on the website to find suitable sugar babies, who are typically students seeking a way to fund their college experience. Members can view each other's profiles and then hope to create a relationship.
Unlike similar dating sites, however, seekingarrangement.com allows sugar babies to post a dollar amount in their profile - how much they are seeking from a sugar daddy.
One member, who wished to remain anonymous to protect her personal life, created a sugar-baby profile as a way to help make payments for school.
"There's usually only two reasons people get into this kind of thing. Either they have to do what they have to do in order make ends meet, or they just want that easy money," she said. "There's always the daddy-complex or something like that here and there but those are the most frequent reasons. I mean you're already having sex anyways so why not? That was the logic."
Websites like seekingarrangment.com have received criticism for their business structures resembling a form a legal prostitution. However, as the nature of the relationships are not explicitly sexual and instead encourage mentorship and guidance, they cannot be classified as prostitution.
"If you're interested in using (the site) you need to know that it's not all fun games and money; it can really take a toll on you. You're giving away yourself to older men that just look at you like a piece of meat. You have to think of yourself first because most of the men are creeps," said the member. "Be safe, be strict, and be strong. You are basically the CEO of your company that sells you."
The website is free to join, although members can upgrade their accounts to premium for $59.95. Premium members get access to advanced searches, as well as the recognition of being a premium member. Only sugar daddies and mommies can upgrade to Diamond status, which allows members to display verified net worth, as well as being prominently displayed in the Diamond Club on the front page of the site.
"You just put some racy pictures up, something to catch their eye, and wait for them. If you're bold then you can go after the guys you like and see what happens.," said the seekingarrangement.com member. "It's really like advertisement for a product, you have to be cunning and inviting, make them want your product."
Mr. Scorpio, a Diamond Club sugar daddy using a pseudonym, which is common for members, boasts a $10 million net worth that he wants to share with a sugar baby on the website. "I've been fortunate in life to be blessed with a lot and I'm looking to enjoy it with someone else - simple as that." His profile reads, "Girls who are pursuing a career, whatever it might be, is an attribute I find attractive."
Accounts like those of Mr. Scorpio's can have their net worths verified by TC LogiQ, a service that specializes in employee background checks for companies. Many diamond club member accounts have verified net worths of over $1 million dollars.
Since last year, the member of seekingarrangement.com who spoke with The Daily Campus has deactivated its sugar-baby account.
"To anyone interested I would say the money is great, the gifts are great, but if you don't have the heart for it don't try and do it. This type of life can make you or break you. I know it seems completely opposite of empowering women, but everyone has done something dirty to get to where they wanna be."