Holocaust survivor to speak on day of remembrance
A Ukrainian concentration camp survivor will speak at Konover Auditorium today at 1:30 p.m. as part of UConn Hillel's Holocaust Day of Remembrance.
Al Linder of Stamford is the keynote speaker. Other events include a "Walk To Remember" sponsored by Alpha Epsilon Pi and an all-day "Wall of Hope" on Dow Field.
Hillel Student Rights intern and 8th-semester political science major Eric Weinstein said that the chance to hear Linder speak is a unique opportunity.
"We're the last generation to see these people first-hand. You can't substitute that first-hand commentary for what happened in the Holocaust," said Weinstein in a telephone interview.
Students are also invited to leave messages on the wall of remembrance. Participants forthe walk are asked to wear black, according to a press release.
Weinstein said that he hopes that the event will raise awareness about present-day atrocities. "The whole point is that the Holocaust is not one genocide; it is one of many."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit