UConn volleyball coach resigns
Three panelists, Susan Herbst, Lewis Gordon and Bandana Pukkayastha, discussed works of art in their relation to civility and its counter, incivility. Zarrin Ahmed
UConn volleyball coach Holly Strauss-O'Brien, who has coached the Huskies for nine years, resigned from her position on Wednesday.
UConn will begin a national search for a new coach immediately.
Strauss-O'Brien came to UConn in 2003 as a graduate assistant and worked her way up to the head coaching position by 2005. In nine seasons Strauss-O'Brien had 12 players honored with All-Conference awards. In 2006, she brought UConn back to the Big East Tournament, where it had not been since 2002. Strauss-O'Brien and the Huskies made four appearances in the Big East Tournament after that.
Strauss-O'Brien was named the 2012 Big East Co-Coach of the Year after the Huskies, who were projected to finish 10th in the conference and began the season 3-4, won seven of their last eight games to earn the No. 4 seed in the conference championship.
Strauss-O'Brien compiled a 141-128 record in Storrs. Although she brought the volleyball team out of a rut in her early years, the past few seasons have not shown much improvement. Since 2010 the Huskies have had one winning season. In 2012, their record was 19-12, but two years before that in 2010, UConn won a mere six games and went on a 15-game losing streak. In 2013, the Huskies went 14-19 and posted a 5-13 record in American Athletic Conference play.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Behind the Printing Press: Talent
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance