Editorial: UConn Daily Digest has proved to be an indispensable tool
Despite extensive language testing many students are still frustrated with the language barrier between them and their teaching assistants. Teaching assistants must pass a mandatory Test of English as well as the Versant phone test before they are allowed in the classroom. Kaitlin Storo/The Daily Campus
The Student Daily Digest has generally been an effective tool for communicating important university events, announcements, lectures and more since its implementation last year. Current freshmen and sophomores will not remember the constant onslaught of official university messages that occurred prior to this consolidation method, often several per day. Now the daily noontime list of things to know has become an indispensable tool for all students who take advantage of its listings.
One minor change we would recommend is an extension of the window in which students or other university faculty, staff and administration may submit content. Currently, all messages must be submitted at least two school days in advance. For example, a message intended to be included in the Digest this Friday would have to be submitted by Wednesday at the latest.
Why, exactly? The messages themselves are never longer than a few paragraphs at most, with some running as short as merely one sentence. As it stands right now, all messages must be approved by the university before being submitted to ensure there is no profanity, explicit messages or similar controversial content. But surely the approval process could be completed within minutes for even the longest Digest submissions. Assuming this is true, allowing students or others to submit to the Digest the day before would be a welcome change for allowing the maximum amount of relevant information possible.
Still, this one inconvenience should not overshadow what the Daily Digest has brought to the University of Connecticut: a reliable once-a-day guide on how to make the best of your university experience during the four short years you attend here. All students should check it for the latest up-to-date listings, offers, promotions and advertisements about what UConn has going on today and every day.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
- Men's Basketball: Jalen Adams commits to UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age
- Comparison-Shopping for Life Insurance Made Easy