Drummond tweets talk of entering draft
Andre Drummond, freshman center, dunks in the UConn vs. Harvard game on Dec. 8. It has not be confirmed by Drummond nor the school, but media outlets in Connecticut have reported that the player will enter the NBA Draft, based on the player’s recent tweets. Ashley Pospisil
According to reports from across the state, freshman center Andre Drummond will leave UConn and enter the NBA Draft.
Multiple media outlets in Connecticut have reported that Drummond will be the first Husky to leave after his freshman season and go to the NBA. Neither the school nor Drummond released an official statement, but Drummond retweeted congratulatory remarks directed to his account. According to The Hartford Courant's Dom Amore, sources close to Drummond said he will become the first one-and-done player in Storrs history.
"It's the decision of a lifetime," a source told The Courant.
One source told the Connecticut Post's Kevin Duffy that the postseason ban for the 2013 NCAA tournament factored heavily into his decision. Other media outlets across the state have also confirmed the report through sources.
Drummond's potential, size and athleticism makes him a lock for a high draft pick. The freshman came to Storrs in August after tweeting his intentions to reclassify and join the defending national champions. He struggled at times this season, but still averaged 10 points and 7.6 rebounds in 34 games, playing with a broken nose at the beginning of the season. The 6-foot-10, 270-pound center from Middletown was selected to the Big East All-Rookie team. Drummond, who attended St. Thomas More and Capital Prep, was named the Preseason Big East Rookie of the Year. He was rated the nation's No. 1 prospect by Scout.com and the No. 2 recruit by ESPNU and was the highest rated recruit to ever commit to Jim Calhoun.
Drummond becomes the 15th UConn player to leave early for the pros. Nadav Henefeld left UConn after one season in 1990, but played professionally in Israel, his home country. Ater Majok spent two seasons in Storrs, but was only able to play in one of them. Following the 2010 season, Majok played professionally overseas before being drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers this summer.
Sophomore Jeremy Lamb declared for the NBA Draft earlier this week.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...