Let's talk about sex with 'South Park'

By Brendon Field
On October 15, 2012

"South Park" is a show that loves to go big. Sprawling plots with over the top satire and immense overlying jokes are Trey Parker and Matt Stone's M.O. But, I think the show is at its best when it a takes a step back and tells a smaller story and uses it to extract great humor from the characters we know and love. The most recent episode, "Insecurity," did just that.

"Insecurity" contains a plot pushed forward through the miscommunications and backwards logic that can only be found in "South Park." It stars with Ike walking in on his parents having sex while his father is dressed as a UPS driver. He believes his mother is having an affair and draws a diagram of the event. The picture gets into Randy Marsh's hands and soon the whole male population believes all their wives are sleeping with the UPS man. 

Meanwhile, Cartman questions whether or not the sex is consensual and gets a home security system to protect his mother. This led to two jokes used repeatedly, and successfully, throughout the episode. The parents become increasingly more insane and paranoid; and Cartman screams at home security personnel about holes in their system. The latter was basically an excuse for Cartman to hypothetically say "I was trying to rape my mom" again and again, and it never got old. The story isn't the most creative we've seen on the show, and it follows the familiar domino effect formula. However, it was compelling enough and the constant buildup of shenanigans held quite a few laughs.

This eventually leads to all the characters getting security systems inside themselves, with alarms going off when they become scared or anxious. In Cartman's case, it goes off when he finds out the Jewish population is growing. At that point I wondered if the entire story was created around that one joke. If it was, it was completely worth it. Eventually, everyone dresses up as Bane and attacks the UPS man. I don't know why, but if you have ever wanted to hear Bane say "Respect my authoritah," then you can check that off your bucket list.

"Insecurity" worked because it was so character driven. The sources of most of the jokes were the mouths of Cartman and Randy, which often heeds positive results. The unusual premise was well utilized, there are no pointless subplots and the many dialogue sequences never became longwinded. I doubt that the point of this episode was to satirize home security systems or UPS, but just to show once again how deranged a place South Park is, and that's why we tune in every week.