Women's Track and Field: UConn finishes in second at AAC Championships

By Cody Milardo

The UConn women's track and field team earned second place in the inaugural AAC Championship meet at Armory Collegiate this weekend. The Huskies were led by the Championship's Most Outstanding Track Performer, sophomore Emily Durgin, who won the 3,000 and 5,000-meter runs and anchored UConn's first-place relay team.
"I am so proud of the way the girls fought for every point," assistant coach Amy Begley said. "Some stepped up when others had an off day, and that is what a united team does for each other. UConn finished third in the American Athletic Conference Cross Country Championship and now earned second place in the Indoor American Championship. I like where this is going for outdoor track."
Southern Methodist University snagged first place with a score of 118.5, followed by UConn with 114, Houston with 87.5, UCF with 78 and Louisville with 77. Memphis, Cincinnati, South Florida, Rutgers and Temple filled out the bottom half of the scorecard in that order.
Sophomore Laura Williamson opened the competition strong for the Huskies, claiming first in the mile run with a personal-record time of 4:53. Junior Faith Dismuke also broke her personal record and placed third in the 800 meter run with a time of 2:07.50.
The Huskies concluded the competition by winning the 4x400 relay for the first time in any championship event in program history. The team of senior Celina Emerson, sophomore Deysha Smith-Jenkins, Dismuke and fellow junior Nyanka Joseph broke the school record with a time of 3:37.92.
"I'm as proud of this team as I have been of any team I have coached. I am excited about the future and what this young team can do," associate head coach Clive Terrelonge said. "This was a great weekend for the first ever AAC Championship. I'm excited about the future of this conference, including the upcoming outdoor conference championship."
Next weekend the Huskies will compete in their second to last event of the indoor season at the ECAC championships in Boston.