Women's Hockey: Huskies fall to Northeastern in Hockey East Quarterfinals

By Matt Zampini

Going into the first round of the Hockey East Tournament, the UConn women's hockey team was underdog against the No. 3 Northeastern Huskies.
Northeastern won both contests this season against UConn, including a 10-game win streak against the Huskies dating back to the 2010-11 season. Northeastern came into the matchup with 10 straight conference wins and was a sure lock in this first round matchup.
UConn proved to be a tough challenge, as they have been all year, holding a lead late into the third period until giving up two goals in the final three minutes of the game, falling to Northeastern 2-1.
UConn came out and competed against top-tier competition, holding Northeastern scoreless through two periods. The later this one went scoreless, the higher the belief became for UConn that they could pull off an upset.
UConn tallied the first goal of the game at 6:08 of the third period when Sarah MacDonnell netted her 12th goal of the season. Michela Cava put a shot on Northeastern goaltender Chloe Desjardins, who then let up a rebound in front of the net for MacDonnell to jam home.
Northeastern had numerous opportunities on the power play and finally equalized seven seconds into one of their power plays 17:36 into the third. Sonia St. Martin ripped a shot from the point that found its way through the bodies in front and past UConn goalie Elaine Chuli.
Just 1:33 later, Northeastern took the lead when Brittany Esposito found herself in front of the net and was able to slap a wrist shot over Chuli's glove.
UConn pulled Chuli with 1:01 left to add an extra attacker but were unable to equalize.
With the loss, UConn's season is over. The Huskies finished with a 9-24-2 (6-14-1 Hockey East) record and tied for fifth in the conference standings. In his first year as head coach, Chris MacKenzie led the Huskies to triple their number of wins from a year ago.
Juniors MacDonnell and Cava led the team in points with 27 each. MacDonnell finished with a team-leading 12 goals and Cava finished with a team-high 17 assists.
Chuli led the Huskies in net this season, starting 24 out of 35 games while recording a 2.57 goals-against average and a .929 save percentage.