Softball: UConn gets first win, but drops four in Texas

By Kyle Constable

The UConn softball team earned its win of the season on Friday, but could not manage to pull off another at the Texas A&M Invitational over the weekend.
The Huskies (1-9) avoided what would have been the program's worst start in history Friday morning, as they defeated Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 10-2 in five innings.
Lauren Duggan, who earned her first win of the season, had her best outing thus far, allowing only four hits and two walks while giving up just two earned runs.
On the offensive side, senior Audrey Grinnell put together a tremendous effort, driving in four runs on a three-run home run and an RBI single. Five other Huskies contributed RBIs as well.
However, that's where the offensive well dried up for UConn.
In UConn's second game of the day, No. 13/18 Texas A&M almost shut out the Huskies in a 14-4 win.
The Aggies carried a 14-0 lead into the top of the fifth, but a furious comeback effort powered by Grinnell's second three-run home run of the day gave the Huskies at least a respectable showing in the game.
Senior Katelyn Callahan took the loss-her first of the season-after pitching just 0.1 innings and giving up one hit and four walks for three earned runs.
Freshman Kayla Doty, who came in for Callahan in the first inning, and sophomore Alyson Ambler, who came in for Doty in the third inning, could not contain the Aggies' offense either, giving up another eight runs before the game concluded.
The game was the Huskies' worst loss of the season.
UConn looked to start fresh on Saturday, with a chance to notch another strong performance against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. However, the game quickly got out of hand and became a six-inning, 8-0 loss-the third time the Huskies have been shut out this season.
With just two games remaining in the tournament, UConn was still hoping to earn its second win of the season. But having to face Texas A&M again and reigning-Big Ten champion Wisconsin did not make it easy.
The Huskies forced a full seven innings against Texas A&M in the second matchup on Saturday afternoon, but still could not overcome a five-run deficit, falling 6-1. On Sunday morning, UConn fell to Wisconsin 7-2 in a five-inning game that ended prematurely due to rain.
Next up for the Huskies is the Winthrop Adidas Invitational in Rock Hill, S.C. this weekend, where UConn will kick off the tournament by facing Youngstown State at 1 p.m. on Friday.