Baseball: UConn drops two out of three games at Lipscomb

By Scott Carroll

The UConn baseball team went 1-2 this weekend in their series against the Lipscomb Bison.
The Huskies (4-5) opened up the weekend strong and won an extra inning thriller to start off the series.
With the scored tied at 4-4 in the top of the tenth inning and two outs, freshman Aaron Hill delivered an RBI single that would score Max McDowell as the Huskies permanently took the lead from the Bison, making the score 5-4. Hill would advance on a wild pitch and eventually score on a Jack Sundberg single that would double the lead, making the score 6-4.
Freshman Patrick Ruotolo picked up the win for the Huskies as he tossed three scoreless innings while striking out four Bison on his way to his first victory of the year.
The Huskies would not fare so well during the rest of the series, being out-scored 18-3 over the next two games.
UConn would drop game two of the series in another extra innings thriller as the Bison took the game 4-3 in extra innings.
With the score tied 3-3 in the bottom of the tenth, the Bisons' junior infielder Grant Massey started the inning with a lead-off double. UConn pitcher Andrew Zapata would walk the next batter, while the Bisons' sacrifice bunted both runners over to second and third.
UConn would intentionally walk the next batter to load the bases with one out.
Zapata would strikeout the next Bisons' batter, but allow a walk to senior outfielder Chad Shannon sealing the game for Lipscomb as they took the game 4-3 on the walk-off walk.
The Huskies would lose the rubber match of the three game series 14-1 as the Huskies allowed 12 runs in the eighth inning.
UConn only accumulated six hits in the affair as their lone run came off the bat of Blake Davey as he hit his first homerun of the year in the top of the ninth.
The Bison scored their first two runs in the bottom of the second inning when junior outfielder Jonathan Allison hit a triple that scored two Bison, giving Lipscomb a 2-0 lead.
The score would remain 2-0 until the bottom of the eighth, when Lipscomb had an offensive explosion.
The Bison would score 12 runs on 10 hits in the inning as the Lipscomb trampled the UConn bullpen.
Davey's homerun in the top of the ninth allowed UConn to avoid the shutout, but they would be unable to overcome the 12-run eighth inning as they fell 14-1.
The Huskies will hit the road again next weekend for a three-game series against Florida in Gainesville.