Men's Track and Field: UConn wins first ever AAC Championship

By Matt Kren

The UConn men's track and field team overcame a 33-point deficit after the first of two days to win the first ever American Athletic Conference Indoor Track and Field Championship.
On the first day, the Huskies accumulated 26 points and placed qualifying performances in every event. Notable performances were turned in by junior Oluwatosin Edwards, who placed second in the 35-pound weight throw, freshman Craig Hunter and senior captain Cory Duggan, who placed third and fourth respectively in the pole vault, and the UConn medley relay team.
Trailing Louisville, who led with 59 points, and Houston, UConn owned the second day to win the title. The Huskies finished with 158 points, holding off Louisville (123 points) and Houston (116 points).
Although the Huskies only finished first in the 4x400 mile run and the 1600-meter run, 27 of the 32 athletes scored points in their events.
The Huskies had 25 top-five finishes and 34 top-10 finishes. The first place finish in the mile run was turned in by freshman Mike O'Donnell, who was closely followed by a pair of teammates: sophomore Nick Bertolini and sophomore Bryan Fowler, who placed third and fourth respectively.
The captains once again helped lead the winning effort, with Duggan in pole vault and Darnell Cummings placing third in the 60-meter dash and second in the 200-meter dash. Eric Masington placed second in shot put with a throw of 17.30 meters.
Other top-five performances in the field were turned in by sophomore Kris Horn (second), sophomore Patrick Meyer (fourth) and senior Sean Walsh (fifth) in the heptathlon, sophomore Harley Lacroix (fourth) in the triple jump, junior Tobey Belton (fifth) and freshman Demario Gray (fifth) in the high jump.
In the track events, top-five performances included freshman Patrick Hayes (fifth) in the 200-meter dash, freshman Chinedu Amonu (third), senior Kyle Twombly (fourth) and sophomore Robert Hovanec (fifth) in the 400-meter dash, and sophomore Alvaro Chavez (third), sophomore Robert Rhodes (fourth) and senior Paul DeSalvo (fifth) in the 800-meter run.
The Huskies have now won back-to-back conference championships, including last year's Big East Championship, and have not lost a scored event this season. Coaches Greg Roy, Rich Miller and Renny Waldron were honored as the American Athletic Conference coaching staff of the year.