Men's Track and Field: Chavez makes NCAAs Tournament

By Matt Kren

UConn sophomore Alvaro Chavez will travel to Albuquerque, N.M. to compete in the NCAA Indoor Track and Field tournament this weekend after qualifying in the 800-meter dash.
To be invited to the NCAA meet is rare as only the top 16 in every event are invited. UConn has a history of sending athletes to the NCAA tournament in the 800-meter, which coach Greg Roy noted.
"We have a rich history in the 800-meter, with probably 10 to 12 All Americans in the last decade or so in that event alone," Roy said.
Coming into the tournament, Chavez has posted the seventh-fastest time in the country in the 800-meter, 1:47.96, only a little over two seconds behind the nation's fastest time from Mississippi State sophomore Brandon McBride.
Chavez has been consistent this whole indoor season for the Huskies, and he now has a chance to put UConn men's track and field in the national spotlight.
"There is a lot going through my head right now but mostly I feel excited because this is going to be my first appearance on the national stage," Chavez said. "I'm thrilled to be able to compete at this level and I just can't wait to toe the line and just go."
Everyone in the same situation would have nerves, as he admitted he had a few, but he went on to say, "I'm feeling confident in myself as well. Being the lone Husky to go to indoor NCAAs gives this experience more meaning to me personally."
As a sophomore, Chavez represents the new wave of athletes for UConn as most of the team is either freshman or sophomores.