Men's Track and Field: Chavez makes NCAAs Tournament
UConn sophomore Alvaro Chavez will travel to Albuquerque, N.M. to compete in the NCAA Indoor Track and Field tournament this weekend after qualifying in the 800-meter dash.
To be invited to the NCAA meet is rare as only the top 16 in every event are invited. UConn has a history of sending athletes to the NCAA tournament in the 800-meter, which coach Greg Roy noted.
"We have a rich history in the 800-meter, with probably 10 to 12 All Americans in the last decade or so in that event alone," Roy said.
Coming into the tournament, Chavez has posted the seventh-fastest time in the country in the 800-meter, 1:47.96, only a little over two seconds behind the nation's fastest time from Mississippi State sophomore Brandon McBride.
Chavez has been consistent this whole indoor season for the Huskies, and he now has a chance to put UConn men's track and field in the national spotlight.
"There is a lot going through my head right now but mostly I feel excited because this is going to be my first appearance on the national stage," Chavez said. "I'm thrilled to be able to compete at this level and I just can't wait to toe the line and just go."
Everyone in the same situation would have nerves, as he admitted he had a few, but he went on to say, "I'm feeling confident in myself as well. Being the lone Husky to go to indoor NCAAs gives this experience more meaning to me personally."
As a sophomore, Chavez represents the new wave of athletes for UConn as most of the team is either freshman or sophomores.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit