Spring break myths

Antics over vacation cemented in memory

By Fatir Qureshi

For freshman at the University of Connecticut, March 15 will be the beginning of their first spring break. Over the years, many myths have come to surround what goes on during spring break.
Many sophomore, junior and senior students (although they may not want to be named) can attest to the crazy antics which often occur during this seemingly short time.
"I jumped of my friends roof, and landed in his pool," said 4th-semester computer science and engineering major Mario Aguayo. "I have no regrets over my spring break."
However, despite the seemingly surreal things that seem to occur during spring break, many students have a much more normal experience during this time. For many, spring break is a time for traveling to exotic locations, and just living life.
"Typically, I'll go to New York City, and visit a concert with friends over spring break," said 4th-semester Allied Health major Meguile Asuncion.
The UConn Division of Student Affairs also provides many alternate spring break programs that allow students to also enrich themselves as well. These trips often focus on students being able to reflect and gain knowledge while at the same time being able to provide service to others.
Since many classes have midterm exams shortly before the beginning of spring break, this short excursion seems like a godsend. At the same time, however, students having midterms immediately following the end of spring break may see this time as critically useful for studying.
When describing the importance of spring break, Jamil Ghannam, a 4th-semester biomedical engineering major said, "It's fun, and the break that we always needed"
Often students also see spring break as a good time to catch up with friends and family, and more simply just a time to fully relax.
"Vacation and family immediately come to mind when I think of spring break" said 2nd-semester computer science and engineering major Kyle Robertson.
Additionally, some students may face some frustration in that the University of Connecticut's spring break timings may not necessarily match up exactly with that of other colleges. This can make establishing group plans extremely difficult.
"I'm planning to catch up and have fun with high school friends, although our spring breaks don't exactly line up" said second semester chemical engineering major Joseph Bosco.
"The greatest truth about spring break is that it is too short" said Aguayo. Spring break ends on Sunday March 23.