HerCampus blog involved in student life

By Emily Herbst

There are over 500 registered student organizations at UConn, but there is always room for more.
HerCampus, a national, college-wide organization of female students who produce a blog full of various articles, in addition to hosting social events, started at UConn during the spring 2011 semester. HerCampus UConn has its own unique website, while still remaining linked to the large-scale, general HerCampus blog. There are currently 500 universities in the country with participating HerCampus organizations. The actual company was started in Spring of 2011 and is stationed in Boston, Massachusetts.
The members of HerCampus meet at the Student Union on Thursday evenings at 7 p.m., in room 410. Meetings primarily consist of brainstorming new article ideas, planning on-campus events, promotional activities and discussion of ways to improve and polish their work. Anyone can be a part of it, including males. In fact, HerCampus UConn is always requesting "guy advice", especially relative to their love and relationship columns. They seek to create an entertaining yet thoughtful balance between the genders and article contributors.
The HerCampus site features a range of articles, from health and current events, to fitness and fashion. It's the perfect option for young women (or men) on campus who want to write-whether professionally or casually. Even photographers are welcomed, as HerCampus also features a weekly photoblog. All articles are self-uploaded; writers have their own accounts and can add and detract columns as they please. Multiple articles are encouraged, as the goal of the group is to maintain relevance in the eyes of the collegiate.
 The members of HerCampus are constantly looking for ways to appeal to fellow students and help the site gain recognition. Two of their most popular methods are through running a weekly poll, along with the "campus cutie" article, which features either a male or female student on campus whose cuteness has simply stuck out. The process involves an interview, photo and section dedicated to the individual who is chosen. In the past, these interviews have elicited humor-filled responses and even a feeling of honor from the interviewee.
Having recently hosted a station at UConn's involvement fair, HerCampus has gained more and more eager writers, (25 so far), yet they are always seeking more. Their upcoming event, a showing of the documentary "Finding Kind", is all about the battle against bullying. The film, premiering March 6, is meant to spread the word about the effects of hurtful words and actions, primarily amongst young girls and women. Another event in the making is a Francesca's boutique fashion show-where "campus cutie" volunteers will be much needed. The show is scheduled for early April and more details will be given soon.
If you are interested in becoming a blog writer and influencing the female (and overall) population at UConn (and many other universities), please contact the leader of HerCampus UConn, senior Caitlin Kelly, via email at Caitlin.kelly@uconn.com or simply through attending a Thursday meeting.