Huskies travel to Marist for midweek match

By Nate Zielinski

Although last week's match against Bryant ended as another loss for the now struggling UConn men's tennis team, it can definitely be counted as a moral victory. The Huskies played their best tennis of the year, and have now picked up the momentum to make a final push with the season winding down.

The team's play was inconsistent early in the spring, but as of late it has struggled through a two-game losing streak, falling to 2-9.

One aspect of the team that fans can look forward to is the bevy of young talent the team possesses. Freshman Jacob Spreyer, sophomore Ryan Carr, and junior Wei Lin all play big roles in either singles or doubles this year. Seniors Scott Warden and Dave Adams have been consistent performers.

A chance for the team to make a late-season charge starts against Marist.

The Huskies are traveling, which could be a good sign seeing as their only two wins on the season have come on the road. They also take on Sacred Heart, and then it's off to the Big East Championships. Marist has been consistent all spring, boasting a 4-3 record since the start of March. They're coming off a convincing 6-1 win against Niagara and a nail-biting 4-3 victory against Fairfield, which is a team that UConn did not fare well against.

The marquee matchup could eventually end up deciding the No. 1 singles match. Marist's Lorenzo Rossi has won his last three matches. On the other hand, Scott Warden is coming off a tough three-set loss.

The match starts at 3 p.m. in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. Following the match, the Huskies will return home to Storrs for the regular season finale against Sacred Heart.