Baseball: UConn to play in the Big 5 Baseball Bash

By Matt Zampini

• UConn will rely on their three upperclassmen pitchers to keep the team at its best. The pitching rotation has a 2.73 ERA on the year. TROY CALDEIRA/The Daily Campus

The UConn baseball team (5-8) will travel to Philadelphia this weekend to participate in the Big 5 Baseball Bash against St. Peters, La Salle and Villanova.
This will be the first time that UConn will play St. Peters and La Salle, but the Huskies are very familiar with Villanova, as they have played the Wildcats numerous times in the Big East.
The Huskies snapped a five-game losing streak on Tuesday when they defeated the Sacred Heart Pioneers 5-0. Freshman Andrew Zapata shined in his first start of his career, tossing 7 scoreless innings while striking out five in his debut.
The first game of the weekend will be against St. Peters. The Peacocks (2-9) are off to a rough start this year, only winning two of their first 11 games and are currently sporting a five-game losing streak of their own. Their two wins came against Saint Louis and Stony Brook.
On Saturday, the Huskies will take on La Salle, who like the Peacocks, are having trouble in the early stages of the season. La Salle (2-13) has lost seven of eight games on the road. The Pioneers two wins have come against Saint Louis and South Carolina-Upstate.
The final opponent of the weekend for the Huskies will be a former foe, the Villanova Wildcats. The Wildcats (4-10) started out slow but have won two out of their last three games. The last time the two squads met was last year on April 14 and the Huskies swept the Wildcats in the three-game series, earning their first Big East sweep since 2012. UConn leads the all-time series with Villanova 36-24.
Besides the game against Sacred Heart on Tuesday, UConn's pitching rotation has consisted of upperclassmen Jordan Tabakman, Anthony Marzi and Brian Ward. The three have each started four games on the year and have propelled the pitching staff to a 2.73 ERA on the year.
On offense, sophomore Vinny Siena has been the bright spot for the Huskies, batting .340 along with driving in a team-high 11 runs and 18 hits. Siena will look to extend his 18-game hitting streak this weekend in Philadelphia. Eric Yavarone is right behind Siena with a batting average of .308.