Men's hockey: UConn begins post season
The UConn Men's Hockey team will begin their post season in the Atlantic Hockey Conference this Friday in Storrs, CT against the Robert Morris Colonials.
The Colonials earned the right to play UConn after defeating the Army Black Knights in the first round series of the tournament 2-1.
Robert Morris was able to take the first game of the series by a score of 8-4 behind four points off of two goals and two assists by Cody Wydo. Six other Colonials would tally goals in the game as well.
However, Robert Morris fell flat in game two of the series as they lost 4-2 on Saturday. Brian Schultz tallied two goals for the Black Knights including the game winner four and a half minutes into the second period.
Robert Morris bounced back in the rubber match of the opening round with a 3-1 victory to close out the series and move on in the tournament. David Friedmann picked up the game winning goal as he tipped a pass through the slot passed the Army goaltender to set up a weekend series with UConn.
The Huskies and Colonials have faced off twice in conference play this season, splitting the pair of games 1-1.
UConn won the first meeting 5-1 behind a flurry of goals.
Senior Billy Latta had a great night with three goals in the game and one goal in each period. Senior Brant Harris also had quite the game, scoring twice in the first period including the game deciding goal eight minutes and 35 seconds into the first period.
Matt Grogan stopped 22 shots in the game, letting up a goal halfway through the third. It would be the only time the Colonials would beat the senior goaltender as he picked up the victory.
UConn did not fare as well in the second meeting of the teams as they dropped the game 6-1.
The UConn goaltenders faced 34 shots while the Huskies managed to get 26 of their own shots on net. Grogan let up four goals while Robby Nichols let up two.
Kyle Huson scored UConn's lone goal of the evening, his first goal of the season, and Wydo scored the final two goals of the game for Robert Morris while Friedmann scored a power play goal.
The first game of the three game series takes place in the Freitas Ice Forum at 7:05 p.m. on Friday night with the second game taking place on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. The third game, if necessary, will take place at 7:05 p.m. Sunday night in Storrs, CT.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit