UConn running back Lyle McCombs involved in altercation at gym

By Tim Fontenault
On January 21, 2014

• Junior running back Jordan Todman rushes into the endzone for a touchdown during UConn’s 40-21 win over Vanderbilt on Saturday, Oct. 2. JOHN LEVASSEUR/The Daily Campus

UConn running back Lyle McCombs was involved in an altercation at the Student Recreation Facility at approximately 4:45 p.m. Tuesday, multiple witnesses have told The Daily Campus.

McCombs was playing basketball when he became tangled up with another student. According to witnesses Chris Ambrose and Matt Zampini, a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, McCombs allegedly attacked the other student, punching and slapping him in the face. The two then wrestled each other to the ground, according to Zampini.

UConn police officers were at the scene to speak with the individuals involved, according to Zampini. According to UConn Deputy Chief Hans Rhynhart, no arrests have been made as the police department continues to investigate the altercation.

"At this time we are investigating an altercation that occurred at the field house during an informal game of basketball," Rhynhart said. "We will be interviewing those involved as well as any witnesses to determine the nature and extent of the reported altercation. As this is an ongoing, active investigation the identities of those involved will be withheld."

While Rhynhart and the Student Recreation Facility can not release specific details, Ambrose and Zampini both confirm that McCombs did indeed attack the other student.

McCombs was UConn's leading rusher during the 2013 season. The redshirt junior rushed for 670 yards and five touchdowns.
UConn
running back Lyle McCombs was involved in an altercation at the Student Recreation Facility, multiple witnesses have told The Daily Campus.

McCombs was playing basketball when he became tangled up with another student. According to witnesses, McCombs allegedly attacked the other student, punching and slapping him in the face. The two then wrestled each other to the ground, according to one witness.

Due to the closing of the police station, The Daily Campus does not yet know if charges were filed against either party, but three UConn police cruisers were on the scene, and both McCombs and the other student were seen talking to officers.