UConn men's track heads to the Sykes-Sabock Challenge Cup

By Nick Danforth
On January 31, 2013

The UConn men's track and field team returns to action this Saturday as they take part in the Sykes-Sabock Challenge Cup at the Horace Ashenfelter III Indoor Track in University Park, PA. 
Coming off an impressive performance at Boston University's Terrier Classic last week, the Huskies will be faced with even stiffer competition. Included in the field of 14 schools are Buffalo, ranked No. 3 in the Northeast region according to the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association; Cornell, ranked No. 1 in the Northeast region; Princeton, ranked No. 2 in the Mid-Atlantic region, and Penn State, ranked No. 1 in the Mid-Atlantic region. The Huskies currently rank No. 2 in the Northeast region.
"We have a regular season scoring meet, which this is, that we point for as the highlight of our season before we go into the Championship competition," head coach Gregory Roy said. "We're more ready for this meet that any meet so far with our training. This is our best, no holding back."
The Huskies certainly know how talented a team Penn State is. In last year's Sykes-Sabock Challenge Cup, UConn finished in second place with 91.5 points. However, Penn State ran away with the top spot, finishing with 142 total points. UConn's freshmen class may have allowed the Huskies to close the gap, however, as first year athletes claimed six of the teams 13 top 10 finishes at their last meet.
Along with the group of freshmen, junior Cory Duggan (Staten Island, NY) and senior Alex Bennatan (Lake Forest, Ill.) have been impressive in their respective events. Bennatan seemingly sets a new personal record every meet in the 800 meter run, and Duggan has finished no worse than third in any meet this season in the pole vault.
The Huskies know what they will be going up against, but at the same time are excited to show what they're made of.
"You've got the three top teams, arguably, in the whole Northeast quarter getting together for this meet," Roy said. "Yeah, we're excited."
The action is slated to get underway at 9:00 a.m. Saturday.