Watching the game from a new perspective

By Joe O'Leary
On January 31, 2013

For fans of football, commercials and spectacle, the Super Bowl is a yearly Mecca of culture. More than 100 million people watch the big game annually; 113.2 million saw the Giants take down the Patriots last year in the U.S. alone. It's an event few want to miss. However, as some students will have work, others will have classwork and still more may not readily have access to a TV, this is one event that's harder to catch for college students.
Those who are busy on Sunday night shouldn't fret thanks to CBS, this year's broadcaster of the big game. Following in the footsteps of recent sporting events, including last year's Super Bowl and NCAA Tournaments, the company will be streaming the entire game online as it plays out live.
At CBSSports.com, a video player that should work on most laptops and tablets will carry CBS's broadcast of the game, as well as four alternate camera angles. The "Fan Choice" camera will move throughout the game across the field, the camera angles of which will partially be determined by viewers' votes during the game. There will also be a "Sideline" camera, which CBS says will be especially useful if the Ravens and 49ers end up in goal-line plays and a classic "Cable" one positioned behind the play.
But for football fans and film fans alike, the real attraction here is the "All-22" angle, a high, full-field view from the 50-yard-line, showing all 22 players on the team at once. This is a rare angle, hard to find in normal television coverage, that football fans can use to break down plays and study formations live to see what the brothers Harbaugh will throw at the other team.
CBS has also said a curated Twitter stream will add live coverage from CBS experts and personalities, whom fans will be able to reach over this new platform. An interactive gallery of commercials will update live as soon as ads air, meaning the instant classics can be seen again in a moment. The network also promises DVR functionality, meaning viewers can make their own instant replays. Real-time updates of stats are the final piece of the package.
As long as it can hold up to the loads of traffic on their servers, this livestream seems essential not just to those without TVs but also as a tool that can enhance the Super Bowl experience at parties. Football nerds, your prayers have been answered.