A Campus InStyle: A$AP: A unique style icon
Musicians and fashion have always gone hand in hand with each other. From Elvis and his bellbottom pants, to Kurt Cobain and his flannel shirts, musicians of all kinds develop their personal styles and serve as a billboard for many trends. Throughout the growth of the genre, rap music and rappers have always served as nationwide trend-setters, especially with the growing popularity of the music on a mainstream level. With each new wave of trends and artists, a new leader will emerge. A$AP Rocky has definitely taken over the reigns of resident trend-setter.
A$AP Rocky is a charismatic new artist from Harlem. He first appeared on the scene in early 2011, with viral videos for his songs "Peso" and "Purple Swag," His debut album, "LongLiveA$AP", recently hit number one on the billboard charts when it debuted in January. Rocky is gaining popularity with every song, video and appearance. Not confining himself to rap, he has appeared in songs by artists such as Rihanna, Lana Del Rey, Usher and Skrillex. His unique style of music is heavily influenced by groups like U.G.K. and Bone Thugz-N-Harmony, but his keen, and eye for style is what makes him stand out as an individual.
ASAP Rocky is no stranger to both high-fashion and streetwear. Through name-drops on songs and product placement in his videos, Rocky has publicly endorsed Jeremy Scott, Raf Simons, Rick Owens, Supreme, Adidas, Black Scale and many other brands and designers. He has joined the likes of Kanye West and Pharrell in regards to the high number of, "what in the world is he wearing?" moments. Some cornerstone pieces of A$AP Rocky's wardrobe throughout his growing popularity have been Jeremy Scott Adidas and Maison Martin Margiela sneakers, SSUR's "Comme Des F***down" spin-off apparel, and a fur Balmain vest which he wore on BET's "106 & Park." Recently, he even released collaboration pieces with both Black Scale and designer Raf Simons, making sure to have his A$AP moniker displayed prominently throughout. As he becomes more popular and eats up more airtime, there's no telling the impact that Rocky will continue to have on both the style and hip-hop cultures of today's generation. "Hip-hop grunge" is what some people have labeled this new style trend as, but even that is too broad to try and put a name to what A$AP Rocky and his affiliates have curated into their own.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest